• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is Pam cooking spray ok to use on grates?

• Thread starter M.C Bird Rescue
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacy_b

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Stacy
That has to be one of the stupidest things Ive heard in a long time...WTH!!

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
The ideas some people come up with, just make me go :sad8: :headsmack: Wonder if they'd also suggest spraying a baby's bottom with cooking spray to make it easier to clean? (Sorry about the comparison but some things just trigger me!)

OK, so I'm too lazy to clean the grate too - and since Ceddy never goes on the cage floor anyway I took it out. But if she would play on the floor, I'd put it back in and clean it with my trusted white vinegar solution, simple!

leftie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
michelle
Suggesting using cooking spray this way is irresponsible. I can't imagine that it works anyway--greasy, dirt collecting, dangerous. We have a grate on the bottom of the cage. We clean it every single day. It's a routine and it is not a big deal to keep up with it. Am I missing something?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
nope nope nope nope and NO

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Well..it is on Birdsnway...thats why I was asked. BUT..the normal person would just say..well" They said it was ok". so....I wanted more opinions to pass along.

luvconique

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jeni

Hmmm- I guess I look stupid, then. I do NOT use Pam spray, but I do wipe a very, very light bit of Olive oil on my grates.

I clean grates EVERY DAY and fully sanitize cages, clean/rotate toys once a week.

For me, it's not an excuse not to clean cages, but to make it easier because I have 4 big cages to clean, birds to play with, have a family, a job, a house and a life.

Because of the way I wipe it on, (very little) and basically wipe it off at the same time, it's not a greasy, sticky mess at all.

It really works for me, and my cages are very clean.

I don't like that the author of the article suggested PAM. Obviously spray is not a good idea, or for people who might think it means not having to clean.

Anyway- I'm a clean freak, my birds are very healthy and happy, and I'm definitely not stupid.

:D

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Hmmm- I guess I look stupid, then. I do NOT use Pam spray, but I do wipe a very, very light bit of Olive oil on my grates.

I clean grates EVERY DAY and fully sanitize cages, clean/rotate toys once a week.

For me, it's not an excuse not to clean cages, but to make it easier because I have 4 big cages to clean, birds to play with, have a family, a job, a house and a life.

Because of the way I wipe it on, (very little) and basically wipe it off at the same time, it's not a greasy, sticky mess at all.

It really works for me, and my cages are very clean.

I don't like that the author of the article suggested PAM. Obviously spray is not a good idea, or for people who might think it means not having to clean.

Anyway- I'm a clean freak, my birds are very healthy and happy, and I'm definitely not stupid.

:D

Well said. I also use a little bit of olive oil on the grates, but its the barest amount, and my grates get cleaned and sanitized A LOT due to being slightly OCD, but more importantly because the birds are part of our main living space, and I keep everything up to a rigorous standard of clean to keep everyone in the house healthy. I can't imagine using PAM, that seems like it really would be a greasy, slippery mess. And pressurized oil would definitely make me shy away. I don't have a grate in Ella's cage, but I do have on in Archie's. The olive oil is barely detectable, but it does seem to make it easy to get the poop off the grate and I don't feel like I'm chipping away at it, which always make me worry because his cage is powder coated, not SS. I've done this since I got Archie, as I spoke with a breeder (to confirm that I was feeding Archie propertly when I first got him) and she recommended doing this.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I WOULD NOT use this around birds for any reason. Especially not around or on a cage.

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
It says to use it on the perches????????? Uhhhhhh NO.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

It says to use it on the perches????????? Uhhhhhh NO.
:omg: I think we all missed that but YOU ! Yes it does say perches..how would you keep a bird ON the perch ? Hmmm....

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
that is crazy, LOL! I just put newspaper over all the grates in my cages!

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
Wonder if they'd also suggest spraying a baby's bottom with cooking spray to make it easier to clean?
:lol::lol::lol:

It might though! Might need to duct tape the diaper in place to keep it from sliding off though.

People will try anything to cut corners I guess. I simply took the grate out of my cages and pull the paper every day, Noodle only ends up on the bottom when she klutzes out playing and the tiels right now are not even pooping in the cage because of the "eggies".

Wonder what the people suggest for poo in the hair or shirt? :p

robin's my baby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
"It Works" is just being lazy.
ya just lazy:rolleyes: but you see it keeps the poo of of every thing cuz the bid cant stay in one place long enuff to poo.... but anyways i would ratther soak them in water wip them off then coat them in that

fid fanatic

Real Name
Cheri
"
Pam Cooking Spray! Genius Idea! It Works!

• [SIZE=-1]Submitted by: IT WORKS!!! - December 04, 2005[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Bird toy can be used for All Size Birds[/SIZE] Take out any type of perch, from gravel to wood, run it under steaming hot water, and scrub it with paper towels, or any scrubbbing utensil of your choice. Next, Get all of the poop off. Then, Spray and SOAK your birds perches with PAM cooking spray. The poop will slide off and wont stick, so you'll have less cleaning to do!!!!!
Oh no, no, no, no...PLEASE no. Spraying perches with oil? That's nuts. That would be like spraying oil on your kitchen floor. Not smart. More importantly, Pam contains a toxin used for the propellant, so we don't use it at all in our house. I would NEVER use it around my birds regardless of whether you sprayed it away from them or not. The toxin still remains on a surface or in your cooking...it doesn't go away. Keep in mind this was submitted in 2005...back before or just when we were becoming more educated about toxins in foods and products.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Actually I was told a few years ago on a bird forum that it is safe to use IF you take the grate out side and spray it and let it sit and dry completely

and yes it is so poop won't stick so bad, It would come in handy for those grates that don't slide out

Paper doesn't always work. Example - Put paper on the grates of all my cages today before giving the birds millet - They tore all the paper to shreds before eating their millet So ya using paper to cover the grates doesn't always work

but I wouldn't use it on toys/perches They nibble on those more than they do the grate

shellbeme

Real Name
Shelly
I guess all I can picture is Pam residue on Chico's feet and feather and how terrible of an idea that seems like to me. I picture things getting slick and problems with footing not to mention how it might possibly transfer to feathers. Even the slightest amount of residue left on the bars can cause an issue.

I'm also picturing some newbie to birds going 'oh thats a great idea!' and figuring its safe to just spray perches and let the birds go trying to waddle all over them. It just sounds like a horrible idea to me.

AmandaT

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Amanda St Onge
Does anyone know if it can get in their feathers and cause them to be sticky and pick them out? I just saved/adopted/rescued a Goffin cockatoo (we already had one) and she was picking her feathers, my husband and I noticed pam ALLOVER EVERYTHING in the cage and even the bird!! I couldn't get it off without using dawn dishsoap like they do to birds in oil spills, she was grey in color and now back to bright white. Any advice? I feel awful for her and I think she will need a few more baths...

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
I would think it would...I know if I had pam oil all over me I would try to get it off any way I could. Hopefully with you bathing her she stops picking... I would keep an eye on her to make sure that is what was causing the picking.

Also welcome to the board! We love to hear more about both your birds and congrats and thank you for bringing this little one home.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.