• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is Nibbler a typical parrotlet?

Moldybread

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Marie
I often wonder if Nibbler is atypical. I can go away for a week and he's more affectionate when I return. He must be on me or near me at all times and is often happy just to sit plastered next to my hand or arm (although he does like to groom me sometimes painfully). He is a picky eater. He doesn't talk. Ignores his toys and isn't very active in his cage. And is it unusual that he recognizes the sound of my car? When I drive in my husband says he starts up a racket before I even get out of the driveway. He doesn't do that when anyone else drives up. If I have him out when I take a nap, he naps with me. Just sits on me and quietly goes to sleep. I've never owned a parrotlet before and these don't sound like the typical parrotlet behavior I've read here.
I can't believe how wonderful he is!:heart:
Marie

Katster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
He does sound wonderful.

Photos? :D

awwh I find parrotlet so cute :swoon: but as far as I know, I only know them by "looks". No knowledge or experience of personality or temperament.

And is it unusual that he recognizes the sound of my car? When I drive in my husband says he starts up a racket before I even get out of the driveway. He doesn't do that when anyone else drives up.
our galah is identical when it comes to me. Not with a car though, but ANYTIME I come home and head towards the living room where he is at, he knows in a little of advance (before I enter the closed living room), that it is me by making his excited greeting noises. It shocks me when he recognizes my footsteps as I walk and head towards the room where he is at :eek:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
he sounds like he really loves you!!

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Awe...I think they are all so different with their own personalities...I have been lucky with both of mine...both females.

Kiwi was a rehome and such a doll...she was Momma's girl and just so sweet with me. She became very sick and had to have weekly taps and daily meds but remained so gentle and sweet. She finally lost her fight to cancer:(

After she passed, I was given a little blue handicapped parrotlet, Maya. And she is just as sweet as Kiwi was and also a Momma's girl:heart: :heart:I was recently away for two weeks...the first time since I have had her and she was just as sweet when I returned:)

Evelyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Evelyn
Well he sounds like a Parrotlet, typical, they are all so different, some more aggressive then others, some are more sweet. I have 3 and each one of them is different. They all are fiesty, happy, nippy, sweet, at times not so sweet, loving you one minute and the next try to take a chunck our of you, or remove that freckle or mole that is bothering them. This all why I love them so much. Never know one minute to the next whay they are going to do, most are fearless, which gets them into a lot of trouble. They have to be watched very close when not in their cage. :lol:

Butters Mom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Elise
Zoot bites...but not hard. Just a nibble to let you know she's there.
She'll only come out of her cage for me (hates my son) & then likes to sit under my hair, on my collar.
She'll stay there until I say enough!...hours.
Likes scrithches (on her terms).

I've heard that parrotlets must be handled every day...bull!
Zoot comes out when she wants & is always sweet.
If I try to make her come out- the tiger pounces!
She chooses to join me & I love her to pieces.
:heart:

Moldybread

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Marie

I've heard that parrotlets must be handled every day...bull!
:heart:
I've found that to be true also. But unlike Zoot, sometimes Nibbler bites down hard! Usually it's to let me know I'm doing something he does not like... or he's working hard to get rid of that •••• freckle :hehe:.

Nevermores Mum

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kacie
It sounds like your P'let truly trusts & loves you and has 100% accepted you as its flock leader! For a bird to feel comfortable enough to nap with you is unusual... My Sun Conure will nap with me but my p'let sure wont! Haha... He will bite until I wake up & entertain him.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Parrotlets are not stupid. They won't forget you after a week. ;) I think that the rumor that they will go wild most likely applies to parrotlets who are fearful or not very tame from the beginning. I've never met one that went wild. My guys were not handled for a week when I was out of town and they were excited to see me as well. ;)

Trinity23

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather
Nibbler sounds pretty much like my Pickles. Pickles knows when i'm coming home. And he nips a bit. But I've found that if he's preening me the command Gentle helps. Sometimes he gets a bit too enthusiastic with his affections. I came home from a week long vacation and all Pickles wanted to do was snuggle. He glued himself to my shoulder under my hair and wouldn't budge.