• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you think he's ugly looking?

• Yes, ugly boi

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • No, beautiful boi

Votes: 37 94.9%

• Total voters

Peri-Keet

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Keely
I've had them about a year , still just learning about them myself. They have melodious sounds . I notice they like to imitate the wild song birds outside. I don't no about talking yet. :unsure:
Sorry, another question? Have you noticed them liking any sort of particular toys? I put a hanging hay ball with strips of confetti in his cage, and he hasn't touched it. I also had to remove the swing I had in his cage because it scared him so much. He likes the shiny hooks on his toy ladder, but I'd like to get him some more interactive toys. Do yours like shredders? Or bells?

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
He's a baby. Babies tend to look a little rough... Food, playing, rubbing on bars, clumsy, not doing so well with preening or not really preening or bathing yet. As long as you love him that's all that counts. Who could look at that sweet little dace and say he's Ugly?! :hug8::xflove:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
What a handsome guy!
* what kind of person calls a bird ugly? :kickout:
I totally agree!

You get any more comments like that and Milton da Too will have to visit to "explain a few things" to people! :umbrella2:

Welcome to the Avenue, Little One...

What's his name?

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
How can you look at that face and say that he is not beautiful!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and baby birds are ALWAYS cute even if non-bird people don't think so. He is adorable, so there!

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Sorry, another question? Have you noticed them liking any sort of particular toys? I put a hanging hay ball with strips of confetti in his cage, and he hasn't touched it. I also had to remove the swing I had in his cage because it scared him so much. He likes the shiny hooks on his toy ladder, but I'd like to get him some more interactive toys. Do yours like shredders? Or bells?
I remove bells , on all my parrot toys to hazardous.
Mine seem to like their Activity Matt, Shredders are enjoyed , soft balsa also! They absolutely love leafy greens ...Kale, Baby Romaine Hearts , I toss some on the bottom of their cage and sprinkle crumbles of Harrison's birdie bread on top or Le Fabers Avi cakes, they enjoy foraging on the floor, intuitively in nature that's what they do ! :) , it's usually gone the next day . I line the bottom of my birds cages with news paper. Its a easy clean-up that way. It also provides them a place to forage and walk ,stretch their feet. Provide natural branches of various sizes. Remove dowel perches, . not healthy for their feet. I have a bungee /boing in their cage, they love it !
Give your baby time to adjust to all this new stuff. mirrors make them go crazy " in a bad way ". don't put in his cage .:eek:
Activity Matt I hang on the inside of their cage. pictures of parrot activity matt - Bing images

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I don't see how anyone can call a bird ugly. Even brown and grey finches and sparrows are gorgeous. Their colors are vibrant even when they are a "drab" color. The way the sun shines off of brown, its beautiful. Sometimes grey and brown colors look fiery in sunlight. Your boy is a greenish color, I bet he'll glow like a light bulb in the sun when his adult feathers come in. But how can anyone call him ugly? Are they really that low self esteemed that they have to name call another person or creature because it doesn't suit their mental standards of beauty that they too don't even fit?

Peri-Keet

Real Name
Keely
He's a baby. Babies tend to look a little rough... Food, playing, rubbing on bars, clumsy, not doing so well with preening or not really preening or bathing yet. As long as you love him that's all that counts. Who could look at that sweet little dace and say he's Ugly?! :hug8::xflove:
thank you! Yeah lol, I've been looking at him every few minutes just to see how he's doing (his cage is in my room) and sometimes he'll squeak just because he can't find out how to get to certain parts of the cage yet. Or sometimes I'll see him try to preen, but once he reaches for his back feathers, he'll wobble and have to flutter just to stay balanced. I really love him, and he's extremely sweet! I've never had a bird be so friendly from the first day, lets you scratch his head, lift his wings, steps up if you ask, and even if he's scared or jumpy, he has not bitten anyone yet!
lol sorry, I guess I kind of went on a tangent about him:oops2:

Peri-Keet

Real Name
Keely
What a handsome guy!

I totally agree!

You get any more comments like that and Milton da Too will have to visit to "explain a few things" to people! :umbrella2:

Welcome to the Avenue, Little One...

What's his name?
Lol! thank you so much, AA has seriously been an amazing help, especially since everyone is so friendly!
His name is Pierre!

Peri-Keet

Real Name
Keely
I remove bells , on all my parrot toys to hazardous.
Mine seem to like their Activity Matt, Shredders are enjoyed , soft balsa also! They absolutely love leafy greens ...Kale, Baby Romaine Hearts , I toss some on the bottom of their cage and sprinkle crumbles of Harrison's birdie bread on top or Le Fabers Avi cakes, they enjoy foraging on the floor, intuitively in nature that's what they do ! :) , it's usually gone the next day . I line the bottom of my birds cages with news paper. Its a easy clean-up that way. It also provides them a place to forage and walk ,stretch their feet. Provide natural branches of various sizes. Remove dowel perches, . not healthy for their feet. I have a bungee /boing in their cage, they love it !
Give your baby time to adjust to all this new stuff. mirrors make them go crazy " in a bad way ". don't put in his cage .:eek:
Activity Matt I hang on the inside of their cage. pictures of parrot activity matt - Bing images
Okay, good to know about the bells. Why are they dangerous? because of the small parts, or the metallic mirror-like look?
I tried to arrange his food/toys in some good spots for him to forage around for (the food is on the floor in the corner and toys are hung in higher corners that he likes.)
He's still trying to get used to where everything is, and getting used to moving around the cage without hitting stuff/falling. He's been having trouble with his water bowl, as it's placed through the door, so sometimes I'll see him trying to find a way to get over there, then doing the same trying to get back.
I'll look at those activity mats too! seems like he'd find them interesting. I also found that he likes peas and corn a lot, just frozen but thawed out single peas and corn kernels (along with whatever other fruits/veggies I have atm) sprinkled over his normal seed mix and he loves it!

Peri-Keet

Real Name
Keely
I don't see how anyone can call a bird ugly. Even brown and grey finches and sparrows are gorgeous. Their colors are vibrant even when they are a "drab" color. The way the sun shines off of brown, its beautiful. Sometimes grey and brown colors look fiery in sunlight. Your boy is a greenish color, I bet he'll glow like a light bulb in the sun when his adult feathers come in. But how can anyone call him ugly? Are they really that low self esteemed that they have to name call another person or creature because it doesn't suit their mental standards of beauty that they too don't even fit?
that's what I was thinking! At the place where I got him, they had tons of exotic birds, but I seriously thought he was one of the most unique color schemes I'd seen, so it surprised me when friends of mine said he was "ugly" (even using the term ugly!)
It's usually from non bird people, which is to be expected. I didn't realize until recently that birds are an extremely common fear? Before I had any birds I was trying to decide on a new pet, and I was stuck between a gecko or a bird, and when I told someone I know that I was thinking about getting a bird, her immediate reply was "won't it peck and bite you?" It's surprising how many people know next to nothing about birds, it's almost sad. :(

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
You can get a small avian stainless bell if he likes bells. I like bells. Still some may have some bad metal & the clapper could come off.

All that matters is Pierre is your sweet baby. Mine tries to bite me & many birds do.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
tell those people who say unkind things about your lovely birdie to jump off a bridge :slapfight:

Didn't they ever hear if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all!?

I think your sweet birb is adorable, but all that matters is your opinion and affection. :hug4: