• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Is my parakeet sick?? Or just adjusting to new surroundings??

bravoo

Moving in
Real Name
Savana
hi!
I’ve been super stressed about my new parakeet lately. I got him over the weekend from PetSmart. (This is my second bird, I have a cockatiel but I separated the two cause my other one didn’t really take a liking to him.) so I brought my new bird to my parents house and since he didn’t get along with my cockatiel, we got him a cage. And since I had to go back to my apartment for college (since break was about to end) I brought him with me.
I was starting to stress outcause his poop kept sticking to the feathers in that area, and that just seemed abnormal. But his poop wasn’t a weird color either. He seemed a bit nervous at first but this morning he spit up saliva which really stressed me out. There were no seeds, it was just spit.
Is he sick or is he just adjusting??

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Please see a avian vet as soon as possible.

bravoo

Moving in
Real Name
Savana
Parakeets are such hyper little birds that are so easily stressed. Has he seen a vet yet?
i just got him so i can understand if hes not moving a ton, but no he has not seen a vet and sadly my parents refuse to help me out, since they got me the bird.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
i just got him so i can understand if hes not moving a ton, but no he has not seen a vet and sadly my parents refuse to help me out, since they got me the bird.
It's the spitting up that I don't understand. The fact that it is not food seems more like vomiting than regurgitating. Does he shake his head when he does it?

Have you read the parakeet section under forums?

I agree, sometimes a new bird will just sit and watch his surroundings for awhile.

bravoo

Moving in
Real Name
Savana
It's the spitting up that I don't understand. The fact that it is not food seems more like vomiting than regurgitating. Does he shake his head when he does it?

Have you read the parakeet section under forums?

I agree, sometimes a new bird will just sit and watch his surroundings for awhile.
yeah, he'll just shake his head a bunch, then thats when he'll spit

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He may be upset because he is in a new environment but he may be ill. Best to take him to the vet to be sure. I hope he will be OK but if the poop continues to stick to his vent and he continues to spit up then you need to convince your parents to take him to the vet or give Petsmart a call and talk to the manager about what is happening.

bravoo

Moving in
Real Name
Savana
He may be upset because he is in a new environment but he may be ill. Best to take him to the vet to be sure. I hope he will be OK but if the poop continues to stick to his vent and he continues to spit up then you need to convince your parents to take him to the vet or give Petsmart a call and talk to the manager about what is happening.
thanks so much for the advice, i really hope he becomes well soon if he is in fact sick. it breaks my heart to see him in such a state.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
thanks so much for the advice, i really hope he becomes well soon if he is in fact sick. it breaks my heart to see him in such a state.
bravoo, he could die. Parakeets are not the hardiest of birds, so please, listen to 'iamwhoiam up above and at least talk to the Petsmart manager about what is happening.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I just don't understand why parents buy a bird for a minor and then when the bird is sick they don't step up to the plate. I know this doesn't help you but I get upset about situations like this.

Budgie needs a vet. Could have a crop infection or yeast. Little bird can get dehydrated. You should have a grace period of 14 days or so to return the bird to the store. If your parents still refuse this is your only other option. I am so sorry. If your parents won't help then please don't get another bird.

bravoo

Moving in
Real Name
Savana
I just don't understand why parents buy a bird for a minor and then when the bird is sick they don't step up to the plate. I know this doesn't help you but I get upset about situations like this.

Budgie needs a vet. Could have a crop infection or yeast. Little bird can get dehydrated. You should have a grace period of 14 days or so to return the bird to the store. If your parents still refuse this is your only other option. I am so sorry. If your parents won't help then please don't get another bird.
Good news, he’s going to the vet after all

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please let us know how things go. Vet may do a gram stain of crop and look at it under magnification. You can also get unfiltered apple cider vinegar called Bragg. Mix 2 tsp. In 1 quart water. Put some in water bowel each day until gone. Refrigerate the water mix. It may help straighten out his gut.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope he’ll be okay, and I’m so glad you are able to take him to the vet!

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I’m so glad you could take him! Any word from the vet? Also, I’d consider getting him a parakeet buddy. Parakeets live in flocks in the wild. From what I’ve seen at petsmart, they live in large groups in the cage. I imagine being alone and away from the other birds is very stressful for him.

bravoo

Moving in
Real Name
Savana
I’m so glad you could take him! Any word from the vet? Also, I’d consider getting him a parakeet buddy. Parakeets live in flocks in the wild. From what I’ve seen at petsmart, they live in large groups in the cage. I imagine being alone and away from the other birds is very stressful for him.
oh yeah about that, i just got word today guys!
hes totally okay after all <3
doctor says that he got a bit sick due to the sudden change in environment which upset him and his stomach.
Either than that hes fine and is on a bit of medication and supplements just in case!
but the doctor thinks he'll be just fine.