• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my lovie feather plucking?

LovelyLovies

Meeting neighbors
Hi guys! On my lovie, when I blow softly around his belly/chest area, there are some white feathers showing up. I just want to clear up why it’s like that and just wanted to know if he's feather plucking.

BirdLover29

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebekah
Hello! Do the white feathers fly around when you blow on his belly or do they appear underneath his regular feathers?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Birds molt out feathers and regularly lose some of those little fluff feathers, etc. If he was plucking I think you would actually see a bald spot.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The top layer of feathers have color, the ones underneath are usually white or grey depending on the bird. So if you blow, you are just exposing the down underneath. Just like people, we can lose hair constantly without any baldness, but if you were to pluck out hairs prematurely, you would start seeing bald patches.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
My little guys started molting on their head, you could see the little pin feathers sticking out. Next they started with their chests, all the down feathers were everywhere. Finally we are now working on flight feathers, slowly, one by one.