• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my lovebird going to lay eggs?

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
she is making a nest and she has a mate?
You have a question mark after......."she has a mate". Does she have a mate? And if she does, do you know for sure that you have a male and a female. Two females will build nests together too. Even if eggs appear........you still don't know if you have two females or a male and a female unless you have had them DNA tested.

Taffy_Hazer

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Evalynn Mendez
Yes she does have a mate and i got them from a breeder who has been in the hobby for more than 30 years

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I know this is gonna sound weird, but is her butt swollen? Birds don't show their pregnancy in their stomachs that much, but their vent gets swollen. I can post a picture of my girl and her egg butt.

I hope you're prepared for this, though. So far none of my eggs have been fertile (knock on wood it stays that way), but you're going to be in for some angry lovies. My girl is super protective and will go for blood when I check on her and being her some fruit and veg.

Females will shred and make nests no matter what, though.

Taffy_Hazer

Real Name
Evalynn Mendez
I agree she isn’t really tame and can’t get my hands on her and if you can provide a picture tysm and I’m pretty sure I have a male because he killed another male to have her but the thing is he builds the nest too is that natural?

Garet

Real Name
Garet
It sounds like the killer and nest builder is a female. Unless you have a huge aviary, you shouldn't put more than two together. My girls both live alone and would murder eachother over their cages. My boys are all very docile. They can be cage-protective, though, especially after forming a bonded pair. I'll get a pic in a moment. She's a different kind of lovebird, but the gist of things are still the same.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
20180519_145709.jpg
20180519_145842.jpg
Sorry for the poor quality, she refused to come out. But you see how large her tush is? That's a tell-tale sign of eggs.

Taffy_Hazer

Real Name
Evalynn Mendez
Oh I have a mini aviary not to big but not a little cage it’s a good size I hope it’s. A male because I got it form an experienced breeder who has been in the hobby for a great while

Taffy_Hazer

Real Name
Evalynn Mendez
Ye is she going to have chicks soon?

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Oh I have a mini aviary not to big but not a little cage it’s a good size I hope it’s. A male because I got it form an experienced breeder who has been in the hobby for a great while
Tbh, there's no surefire way to tell without a DNA test. The pelvis bone spacing test doesn't always work. My albino was sold to me as a girl, but he's all man.

Ye is she going to have chicks soon?
She's laid two eggs, despite being housed separately from my males. I'm expecting more any day now.

Taffy_Hazer

Real Name
Evalynn Mendez
Nice how much is a DNA test?

Taffy_Hazer

Real Name
Evalynn Mendez
Seems fair have u ever had chicks