• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Is my Lovebird Feather Picking?

EthanBoha

Sitting on the front steps
I think he is, but I don't really know. If he is it would be a big help to give me some tips on how to get him to stop, thanks! 20170711_132125.jpg Screenshot_20170711-130654.png Screenshot_20170711-130658.png

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Maybe,,is he molting? Have you had a wellness check and, or been tested for Giardia, Yeast?

EthanBoha

I honestly don't know what hes doing. And no, I haven't had a wellness check or any of that.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
How old is he? If he is young he may be shedding some "fluff". If he isn't young then to me it does look like plucking. You really need to take him to a vet to make sure it is not health related. If it is behavioral you may be able to stop it from becoming a habit and long lasting if you start now. After the vet check and if he sees nothing, what size cage is he in? Does he get enough attention? Is there something causing him anxiety? (loud noise, children, strangers always passing through, not enough to keep him busy (toys, foraging etc)

EthanBoha

Hes 6. I'm planning to take him to a vet in September. His cage is 2 ft wide and 1.7 ft tall. The last few months I've been spending more time with him, but before then I didn't really give him much attention. I do put magazines and stuff like that in his cage and he does like chewing them and putting them in his wings. I do have a little playground in there, but I really don't see him "playing" on it. Here's a picture. 20170711_153318.jpg

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I'm sure others will chime in with more helpful advice, but I know for my high maintenance birds (not a lovebird but same concept), they get new toys at minimum every 2-3 days rotated. Not a whole cage worth, but like a new balsa toy in the corner. They're so intelligent and if they don't constantly have challenges and rewards they can lean toward self harm behavior.
Also, does he get out of the cage often? Sometimes (most times) being cage-bound also leads to depression.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
In your pictures, it looks like mating behavior. Was your bird continually holding his/her wings out? Or was it just a quick stretch?

The reason I ask is that sometimes they have a tendency to pluck a little before laying eggs. (Towards the cloaca in particular, but sometimes they overgoom elsewhere)

EthanBoha

When I get real close to him, like when I put my finger in the cage he does that and makes a weird clicking sound.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
When I get real close to him, like when I put my finger in the cage he does that and makes a weird clicking sound.
Oh... Yeah your bird considers you as a mate. I wouldn't be at all surprised if your bird was actually a girl.

EthanBoha

Oh... Yeah your bird considers you as a mate. I wouldn't be at all surprised if your bird was actually a girl.
Well before we got him he had a mate and she died (don't know how) And she may or may not have laid eggs I'm not for sure though. He still doesn't let me touch him because he either flys away or lift his wings up.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
The lifting of the wings is typically a female mating display. You may have a hen who's going into nest mode.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He/she is beautiful. It does look like plucking. An exam is good to determine cause (and it may be a good idea to get a DNA test done).

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I really wouldn't wait until September