• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my harness safe?

TheOddFlock

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
Elvis has a harness, his harness is homemade (I can't oder things online yet, as I don't have a credit account. And bird harnesses aren't found in my local stores.) I made it from twine, I braided twine, I don't leave it on him for more than an hour, and I don't have it on him more than once a week, I don't want him to get irritated by it. The leash is also braided twine, only with elastic threaded into it, so he doesn't come to an abrupt stop and break a bone or something. I swear it is only temporary, I am getting a better harness soon. I plan on opening a credit account by next summer, so I'll be able to order a harness and leash for him. I only used a homemade one to harness train him, but after his first trip outside (to see how he would take to it) he begs to go back out! And I can't resist his cute little face. It is strong enough to keep him from flying away. It went through many tests before I trusted it with Elvis outside.
Thankfully, it's getting colder out, so I'll have to put the harness away, but it the twine safe for me to be using with him? I'll stop if I have to, I'd like to know. I don't want him to be harmed by it, if it is bad for him.

Is the twine safe for Elvis?

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Personally I wouldn't trust it outside. Is there a carrier you can use instead in the meantime? I feel your pain with the credit card and buying online thing. I use to be like that. Thankfully I can now use my debit card online. Which is great because I love shopping for birds things online
:merlieshops: :hehe:

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I also wouldn't trust twine outside.

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
Also, He loves to play in the grass. The grass and the fact that there is unfiltered sunlight, are the main reasons he comes outside.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I'd go with both. Sorry.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I agree, twine isn't a very sturdy material and a bird could make quick work of it if you aren't looking for a second. Birds can be quick! Also over time twine breaks down on its own getting weaker and weaker.

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
I agree, twine isn't a very sturdy material and a bird could make quick work of it if you aren't looking for a second. Birds can be quick! Also over time twine breaks down on its own getting weaker and weaker.

I guess I'll have to find a different way to let him enjoy the grass and sun. Any ideas? Since I can't get a good harness until next summer.

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
I'm good with sewing, I have some felt, how about I make a flight suit? (Also not available at local stores in my area) is have to get him use to it, but it might be safer than the harness?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Have you considered getting a prepaid visa or MasterCard to use to shop on line. You choose how much you want to put on them and pay it with cash. You can then use it just like a credit card.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Have you considered getting a prepaid visa or MasterCard to use to shop on line. You choose how much you want to put on them and pay it with cash. You can then use it just like a credit card.
This! I couldn't get a credit card for the life of me when I was first trying, and my first one ended up being a secured credit card (you put ~400 on the card from your own bank acct) and then use it online as needed. Usually after a year of good usage, you can request to have it turned in to a regular credit card. If you get a secured cc, you will later get offers out the wazoo for other cards.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Or you can simply get a debit card with a credit card symbol. Pretty much every national bank offers one

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't think I can get any card due to my age. I'd have to ask my parents about the prepaid cards.

They can also set up a joint bank account for you (to get past the minor thing). That's how I got my first debit card!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I'm with @zoo mom ! I use the prepaid visa gift cards to order all my bird stuff online, and it works great. I'm a minor, so no credit/debit card for me!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You could probably stitch up a flight suit pretty easily. I think your twine idea was *okay* but I was going to suggest making it sort of doubled, like make the whole thing then keep going around and make it again. I'm a worrywort over having them outdoors, even with a harness.