• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my Conure over preening?

Shirley Pino

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Shirley
Hi, I have a 1 year old conure. He is free range, and only goes in the cage to eat. He sleeps snuggled into a blanket on the sofa (spoilt I know). I will take the blanket outside and shake it and then wash it once a week, every time I shake it, it is covered in fluffy little down feathers and white dranduff. Is this normal? Do they normally pull their down feathers out? He doesn't have any bald patches, and his feathers all seem to look healthy and shiny. He bathes 3 - 4 times per week and has a good diet of pellets, fresh fruit, nuts and millet. My partner has built him 2 perches next to the windows which he loves, and have hung lots of toys on there. I am just worried that he may be over preening and it could lead to plucking.

Lupen

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaitlyn
Sounds like he's molting if there's "dandruff" - sounds like the casing he's preening off of his new feathers instead of actual skin. Do you see any pin feathers? If not they might just not have formed yet on his head; that's when it gets super noticeable. Zephyr usually doesn't sit in one spot during his molt so I haven't seen piles upon piles but I have seen down feathers, tail feathers and wing feathers strewn about the house over the past few months :lol:

My quaker though is still in quaratine which means she's stuck in one spot for a few more weeks, and she also is going through a huge molt right now. It must just be the time of year. I got a bit worried myself, especially since she's only a little bit over 5 months, and her cage was covered in downy feathers the night after I got her.. but sure enough she's a porcupine now.

I definitely wouldn't worry if there's no clearly broken feathers/blood/bald spots.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Also sounds to me like moulting.

Have you ever seen him plucking?

I believe most birds who pluck will pluck all feathers in a certain area not just concentrate on the down feathers.
Someone please correct me if I am incorrect.

Usually the down feathers are the first to start dropping when my birds moult which seems to be almost non stop at the moment...... looks like someone broke open a feather pillow at my house :lol:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It sounds like you have a very happy well loved bird! I agree that what your describing sounds perfectly normal. I would also try to add some veggies to his diet. They have more nutrients and less sugar than fruit.

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
I agree with everyone else but I just wanted to ask, do you have any pictures of him sleeping in the blanket on the couch? That sounds extremely cute. :heart::lol:

Shirley Pino

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Shirley
Okay thanks everyone. That makes me feel better.

It sounds like you have a very happy well loved bird! I agree that what your describing sounds perfectly normal. I would also try to add some veggies to his diet. They have more nutrients and less sugar than fruit.
I have tried him on vegetables. The only vegetables he touches are pumpkin and capsicum. He has a major sweet tooth, and he will not touch anything else. I have tried taking away the fruit and just leaving vegetables in there, but he won't touch them. Any ideas on how to introduce vegetables into his diet? He is very fussy