• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my cockatiel a male or female?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Is your tiel a pied? We need more pics:)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Ok, I just went through a ton of photos of my 2 grey males to see if I could find photos of them when they were the same age, I did find photos of them when they were around the same age as your little one, not exact though.

Bio at around 5 months old:

And, here is a photo of Bio's tail feathers, you can see he still has baring (and he was around 6, maybe 7 months old here) on some of his tail feathers while some are solid grey, or nearly:

Mishka at around 5 months old:

See how much yellow they have on not only their face, but crest too? Your little one has quite a lot of yellow on the crest even though it isn't the same for the face. They don't get a *complete* yellow face right away, it comes in slowly.

emily323

Sitting on the front steps
Ok, I just went through a ton of photos of my 2 grey males to see if I could find photos of them when they were the same age, I did find photos of them when they were around the same age as your little one, not exact though.

Bio at around 5 months old:

And, here is a photo of Bio's tail feathers, you can see he still has baring (and he was around 6, maybe 7 months old here) on some of his tail feathers while some are solid grey, or nearly:

Mishka at around 5 months old:

See how much yellow they have on not only their face, but crest too? Your little one has quite a lot of yellow on the crest even though it isn't the same for the face. They don't get a *complete* yellow face right away, it comes in slowly.
Thank you so much for these pics, your boys are adorable! Yeah, that's another reason I though he could be a male because when comparing to other female cockatiels, his crest is more yellow than grey. Im going to take some pictures of him tomorrow, including some of his new feathers and post them here :)

KeetsandTiels

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nicholette
I would say male, but that is just going off of the yellow I can see coming in on his face. Hope you can find out soon! (Mine is a male)

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Here's some more pics for comparison.
These are of my male, Mocha.
HPIM0531.jpg HPIM0560.jpg Mocha 001.jpg

In the last pic he is a little over 3 months old, in the first pic he is about 6 1/2 months and in the second he is just over 7 months old. it was about a year when he had his full yellow mask. You can see some barring in his tail feathers in the second pic.

emily323

This is Tallie @ about 3 months old (January)

Here he is @ 4 months old (February)

These are pictures I took today:

I'm only guessing on the age - when I first bought him, the lady only told me she has "just finish hand feeding him" & I was told they usually finish hand feeding around 10 weeks, so I'm assuming he was around 2 months old when I got him in December.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
ok I am changing my vote to female because in one of your pics I see the telltale yellow tail barring!!!! the second and third ones down.!! and her face looks very similar to my Sam., who I mentioned before talks, beak raps and does heart wings....and also lays eggs!!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Has he always had the yellow on his face when you got him/her?:)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I guess it is a wait and see, mine looked like females at that age too though (especially Mishka). Both male and female normal greys have the barring on their tail feathers as well, if over a year or two old, you could visually sex.

Tallie is adorable though, regardless.
:)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I am sticking with male. Look at the close up pictures of his face. He is growing dark yellow feathers right in the middle of his crest, like a mohawk, and he is getting dark yellow feathers right around his lower beak. Eventually the yellow feathers will multiply and he will have is full yellow face mask and then the orange cheeks will develop. Those tattletale yellow facial feathers always grow in a pattern just like you see on your new pictures.

emily323

Has he always had the yellow on his face when you got him/her?:)
Yeah, he's always the little yellow on his face like below the beak & on his forehead. Here is a pic from the day I first got him/her @ about 2 months old.
<---- adorable :heart:
He/she has grown in new female-like tail feathers (yellow ones, but the yellow one you see in the picture is a baby feather) but since he's so young & he broke most of them being clumsy & all, I think it's possible that they may have grown back in as baby feathers. The only thing that's keeping me from thinking he/she is positively a girl is the way that the two new grey tail-feathers are a dark, solid grey underneath - they look almost black & there are no signs of spots/barring.

emily323

So, I was thinking & I've concluded that Tallie is in fact a female - there's no mistaking the two flight feathers that grew in, they're spotted (that can't happen in males, can it?) I'm happy that I got a female that whistles & is pretty vocal, since that's pretty rare - but not impossible. She acts like a rambunctious little toddler, wants to be out of the cage constantly, and is the cutest little tiel' ever :heart:

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Well.... But you can see that the new head feathers are yellow. Males get yellow head feathers, females stay with grey. Also, males sing and whistle, but rarely do females..

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
At this point, I still wont say male or female for sure, as I do believe that males can molt in baby feathers. Cockatiels typically don't start their first molt until they are 4-12 months in age (varies), and it can take at least 2 full molts to attain *all* adult plumage.

Emily, hopefully Tallie doesn't make confuse you too badly! ;)

emily323

At this point, I still wont say male or female for sure, as I do believe that males can molt in baby feathers. Cockatiels typically don't start their first molt until they are 4-12 months in age (varies), and it can take at least 2 full molts to attain *all* adult plumage.

Emily, hopefully Tallie doesn't make confuse you too badly! ;)
OMG, she/he is confusing me so much. I thought it was like, new feathers come in & I'll know for sure but I guess it's not that easy! The tail feathers he broke, so I can see those coming back in as baby feathers - but the flights molted out normally. She, he ... whatever is just about 6 months old now, so maybe it's still too young to tell. The whistling/squeaking & other noise makes me leans towards male, but then I heard some females will do that too - it's either a male or a very boyish female :tongue2: You know what? It should just start talking one day & tell me ...

Status
Not open for further replies.