• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Is my budgie going to die?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I think if you actually cut into the flesh of his toe, you may want to see a vet, it is probably very painful.
I read it like this. Cut the hole claw of and a bit of the flesh. (and look at the pic) If so, you must see a vet! That will hurt a lot and the bird need painkillers.
But I hope I'm wrong..

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is he better or does he seem to be in shock? If he is out of it then best to take him to the vet. If the area looks infected then best to take him to the vet.

Ravenstag

Strolling the yard
He is acting normal now and is active and playing with toys. I thought taking him to vet would scare him. I have some money saved up and my mom said she could pay the rest.

Ravenstag

Strolling the yard
OK do I called the vet and they said I didn't need to bring him in? They know it's not just the quick and I mutilated the bird. They said wait until tomorrow and if he is lethargic or show signs of infection. This is the avian vet.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm glad he is doing better and I'm very glad you came here for help.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that he is doing better and glad you called the vet.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's doing well today, he bit me when I went to give him new food and water but I can't blame him.
Thanks for the update. That's good news!

Ravenstag

Strolling the yard
He's currently on my desk flipping pencils but I have noticed that without the toe he has trouble landing when flying. Should I clip his wings a bit? He almost hurt himself flying into a wall today

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm glad he's doing better! I would give it a few days and see how he does. Maybe he just needs to figure out a way to work around it.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So he's missing his nail and part of the toe, correct? It's probably still painful and a bit awkward now because he's lost part of his foot. He will probably adapt.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
He's currently on my desk flipping pencils but I have noticed that without the toe he has trouble landing when flying. Should I clip his wings a bit?
So you cut your budgie really bad and now you want to clip him again? To be honest, and don't think you ever should try to clip anything on a bird again.
I can't understand why your first reaction wasn't to get him to the vet ASAP. That must have hurt a lot, and I feel so sorry for your budgie. :(

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
So you cut your budgie really bad and now you want to clip him again? To be honest, and don't think you ever should try to clip anything on a bird again.
I can't understand why your first reaction wasn't to get him to the vet ASAP. That must have hurt a lot, and I feel so sorry for your budgie. :(
My understanding is they are just concerned about him landing on the injured toe when he flies, which is reasonable, though I agree clipping isn't the solution.

I think caging him for a few days (in a smallish cage) for it to heal over is much preferable to clipping him, if flying is an issue. Although if it is still opening up and bleeding when he lands, he really should see the vet.

Ravenstag

Strolling the yard
It never bled after the initial cut and we all make mistakes. Nothing seems different st all.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
It's good that he is okay, and I am glad you came here for advice. We tend to go on and on with our advice, because each of us has a little more to add. :roflmao:

I have also cut my birds' toes, right down to the quick, and caused much bleeding. Mine are finches, and like yours these little guys can bleed out in a heartbeat so it is really scary and distressing -- for you and them!

Sounds like you did all the right things and the vet agrees so no harm done.

I have decided the problem is that, along with these big clippers we use, here is what happens. You are holding the bird AND the leg AND the clippers, and trying to extend the toe out from the other toes. You need 4 hands at minimum. So you just palm the bird and hold the leg, and you're trying to clip and THEY MOVE and you've clipped what you shouldn't have. Boom! All in an instant.

So from now on, or from six months ago on, I'm holding the toe with my fingers and clipping a hair short of where I really plan to. After all, we can always clip again if needed.

Hope this helps!

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Because of been afraid to cut Baylees quick i got scared after i accidentally clipped it, it bled for 2 minutes despite of applying flour... After i washed it it finally stopped.... So i bought a calcium perch and it keeps her nails nice & short... I only clip her wings because of the problem on her right wing, that doesnt let her fly properly...