• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Is my budgie going to die?

Ravenstag

Strolling the yard
I have a five year old English budgie named Rupert who I was cutting his nails. He's hand tame but fussy and he freaked out when I went to cut his last nail after a bath and a bit of the skin/toe got cut,no bone. (these where very wide clippers as I couldn't find my small ones). I didn't notice because he didn't make a sound. I noticed when I let him on his perch I of course freaked out and put him on flour in the bath tumb and wrapped him in a towel a put pressure on it. They bleeding only got worse. That was about 15 minutes. I put a shirt over him and around the foot so he one wouldn't fly and hurt his toe and to help dry him. He seems lethargic and won't fight (usually doesn't like stepping out of cage) so I put him on a heating pad because it is cold and set millet in front of him. He was eating it the entire time and still is.

It is 9 pm and all bird vets are closed.

Edit: a turned the heating pad off so he wouldn't get hot

Last edited:

Ravenstag

Strolling the yard
It's been 30 minutes scince when it started and I don't think it's bleeding actively anymore but I am immensely guilty and worried

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If he's not bleeding he will, hopefully, be OK. If he is still bleeding then you need to apply flour or cornstarch again with slight pressure and stop the bleeding. Cover the cage on 3 sides and keep him warm. Are there any emergency vets opened in your area? If he still seems lethargic and is not eating and drinking you may need to bring him to an emergency vet and if he is still bleeding & you can't get the bleeding to stop then you definitely need to bring him to a vet.
I hope that your budgie will be OK.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Well. stop worrying - worrying doesn't do you or your baby any good. If you got the bleeding stopped that is 90% of the battle. Try to leave him alone to sleep and check (sneakily) to make sure his toe is not bleeding again during the night. If it starts bleeding again put lots of flour or cornstarch on the toe and hold it there with your fingers.

His eating is a good sign. Make sure he is hydrated.
He'll be fine.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's good. Just monitor him to make sure that he is doing OK but don't "bug" him too much.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hoping your night goes ok. I can only imagine how scared you are.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
flour or cornstarch mixed with little cayenne pepper powder will stop the bleeding and relieve any pain.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
flour or cornstarch mixed with little cayenne pepper powder will stop the bleeding and relieve any pain.
That's exactly what I was thinking..hope he's OK.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Poor baby, what a fright! I hope he's okay, please let us know how he is tomorrow!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
How's your pretty baby this morning?

Ravenstag

Strolling the yard
He's still puffed out/stressed but the clot turned black and dried. He has eaten some and drank. I think it opened agian when I was sleeping as there is blood on the perch.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Keep monitoring that and make sure it's not infected. You may want to get some Vetericyn wound and skin care hydrogel (or vetericyn plus antimicrobial) and apply that to the area. Even if you get it and don't need it right now it's good to have available just in case.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Does he like millet spray? Maybe hang some near him so he can eat without having to move around much.

Ravenstag

Strolling the yard
I put some of the gel I use on my rabbits on the wound. I know it hurt because he won't let me touch it and won't move. He seems to be in shock and I can easily take him out of the cage. I put a millet spray in a toy that he is eating.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I wish you could get him to a vet :(
Hope he'll be ok but that doesn't sound good

Ravenstag

Strolling the yard
He seems to be back to normal, I've been putting my rabbit neosporin on as the next thing seems just to make sure it doesn't get infected. I'd bandage it but he seems to hate my hands now and for a good reason. When I put antiseptic on it he always tries to shake it off so if just been putting it on the wound (it's really gnarly looking but at an angle so he can use it just fine)

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
How is he doing?
The bleeding probably got worse initially because he was scared being toweled and his little heart was racing.
I think if you actually cut into the flesh of his toe, you may want to see a vet, it is probably very painful.
If you just cut into the quick (a much more common injury when claw clipping), then it is probably safe to leave it as long as it doesn't start bleeding again.