• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my bird sick?

Leslie H.

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Leslie Huerta
I've had my Green Cheek Conure, Pierre for awhile and have been attempting to tame him. His stubborn personality doesn't help at all. However, tonight he seems a bit off? He sneezed and got quiet. He then proceeded to make more sneezing noises frequently. Something I've never seen him do is bob his head. He began bobbing it up and down. I read that it was to get attention for food however, his food bowl is filled and he had been eating at the time. He's resting right now. I'm just not sure what to do at the moment. Any suggestions? I would ask to take him to the vet but unfortunately he isn't tame and doesn't like when hands get very near him... Could he be sick? I'll let him rest tonight and keep an eye on him until the morning.:sour:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Only way find out is take him to avian vet, tame or not, sorry that is the only way to know.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
The most important thing is his health, you could ring the vets and see what they suggest (they may ask to bring in samples) which would be less stressful.

My GCC sneeze but only every now and then. If you know your bird is off I suggest a vet visit. GCCs (and birds in general) are known to hide their illnesses so if you think he's off best to get him checked.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
stubborn personality doesn't help at all.

Humans put human traits on birds sometimes such as aggressive and in this case stubborn. What do you know about the general personality of a GCC? Why don't you read up on this subject so you can have a better understanding of your bird. Frequent sneezing can be an indication of illness . As stated we cannot diagnose you bird, an avian vet can diagnose and treat this bird. There is no short cut to vet care for birds.

Reactions: Jas

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are his sneezes wet or dry? Dry sneezes usually are normal. Wet sneezes can be illness and cause for a vet check.

Leslie H.

Real Name
Leslie Huerta
@sunnysmom last night from what I saw it wasn’t wet, just dry. I was thinking he was having trouble because of the weather change here?

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I know my bird seems to sneeze more in winter, when our house gets dry. But better safe than sorry, I would take him to the vet.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
If your house is dry (because the furnace is on) or he was preening, etc. birds do dry sneezes. Is he still doing the head bobbing?

Leslie H.

Real Name
Leslie Huerta
@sunnysmom no more head bobbing. And I have a small heater on, could that be it? He seems to be doing better, more active than last night and early this morning.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'll take a bird to the vet, regardless if the bird is tame or not. You do what you must to ensure their health.

"Being stubborn" could really be a lack of understanding communication. Imagine going to a foreign country where no one speaks the same language(s) that you do. What may be normal behaviors for you they may find offensive. Maybe you point with your hand but they point with their mouths. It would be hard to understand them when not only the language is different, but also the mannerisms.

Now think about your bird. How can you bridge that communication gap in such a way that is easily understood for both of you?

•|R o c k y|•

Moving in
There are some ways to tell, such as checking if he is suddenly drinking a lot more, tail bobbing, less energetic, his dropping’s might change in colour or size, looses balance often, nausea. Check if he’s eating alright.