• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my bird sick?

AbdulTheKewl

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Abdulrahman Bukhari
Hi there,
I recently noticed 2 weird things on my HH's eye and nostril, and they looked like some weird pimples.
I am not sure if they were the result of some scratching, or if it a skin condition.

The bird is acting completely normal, and he is as cuddly as usual, and eating normal as well.

I am attaching pictures, and hopefully you will be able to help.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Abdul

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The bumps are't normal and to the extent of my knowledge birds (except macaws) don't get pimples. Has he been rubbing his head on anything where he could have irritated those spots? The only thing I can come up with is some sort of mite or a skin infection.

Probably a good idea to get him to a veterinarian to get the bumps checked out.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Any chance that the bar spacing is large enough that he can stick his beak through up to that point, causing the soreness and swelling?

Or maybe he was playing too roughly?

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
There is visible inflammation and redness. .I believe that warrants a avian vet visit
.hope all turns out well. .

AbdulTheKewl

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Abdulrahman Bukhari
Thank you all for your replies.
I took him to the vet today, and he seemed to believe those were the result of some scratching.
He seemed to have so much dust in his wings and feathers, might be the result of molting, which is in turn cause the excessive itching.
I was advised to give him more showers, to reduce the itchiness.
And for the inflammation, I was advised to apply some "Fucithalmic"; eye drops containing Benzalkonium Chloride to reduce the inflammation.

He seems to be doing great now, and the area is less reddish now.
Here's a picture of him on our way to the vet, as he enjoyed some sun and a ride in the car lol
Instagram

Finally, I would appreciate any information on how to reduce the itchiness and dust, and any other advices on showers and their frequencies.

Thanks a lot.

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:hug8: Very glad it was nothing serious. .kudos for you taking him to an avian vet...ask your vet first. .of course! Epson Salt is wonderful for expelling toxins ..you might want to take a gauze pad and wipe his eye with it. .again. .again ask your vet first.

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
My gosh, that photo in the link is adorable! :D

Glad it wasn't anything serious! :)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
If my birds are heavy molt, or seem to be itching more than is normal, I'll up there bathing as much as I can. Daily would be great, but I find I run out of time. :( Bathe your bird as often as you can. What ever way he like best, a good soaking wouldn't hurt either.

If you live in a dry environment like the desert, a humidifier may be of help to add some moisture to the air where your bird is.