• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my bird moulting?

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
My ringneck is supposedly around one and a half years old, and we got him around a week and a half ago due to him having to be rehomed as fast as possible.

Frankie (now accepting new name suggestions too) has been itching like crazy! He loves his spray showers and seems to calm down a little after but other than that he's just scratching and preening all day. I've noticed loose down feathers (the small fluffy ones) and lots of dandruff looking stuff. I don't think it's plucking or anything like that since he's not got any bald spots and he's got lots of pin feathers on his head and around it. I've attached photos as well. Please let me know if this is indeed a moult or if I should be taking him to the vet to get checked for something else.

He also doesn't want to be pet. He's happy sitting on you but don't touch him. He just wants to preen and scratch.
IMG_20190208_181615.jpg 15497570356952575010092709446668.jpg 1549757124158986153201160402618.jpg

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
My lovebird does the exact same thing and he is a bit of a feather picker. I have bought a humidifier for the house to bring up the humidity, but that was only about a week ago, so I'll have to wait and see if that helps. I would love to hear what other people have to say.

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
That's a clever idea! Even if it doesn't help with the picking it would be good humidity for their respiratory systems.

I've only got a small one I used so I might put it up next to his cage on the shelf !

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I bought one for the actual furnace. LOL - my wife has been complaining about how dry our house is for years.... it takes my bird to have issues until I realize my house is dry. LOL

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
IMG_20190210_132749.jpg this is what the feathers I can feel look like. I think they're pin feathers but they look super thin

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Sounds normal to me. The "dandruff" is most likely the sheaths of the new feathers (pins) he's preening off. Whilst he's still losing the fluffies. Showering will help soften the pins. He looks lovely - in great condition.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Our houses are particularly dry over winter with all the heating, so adding more moisture to the atmosphere is a good idea. I have diffusers running all day.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My husband just asked about a humidifier for Buddy! Same situation as you IRN. We have radiation type of heat not forced air. I blew it off as less baths/showers due to cold, some mild molting recently. Hubby argued that the average humidity was down & using the children's bedroom cold humidifier may help. What was mentioned here w/ all my reading. Now I'm wondering if my guy is right (I hate when I loose a dicussion!)

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
Yeah I've been a little hesitant to give the birds baths recently because it's not really hot here but it's not cold enough for us to turn on the heater either so I'm trying to think of ways to help them dry off in a warm place. So far what I've come up with is turning the "heat" light on in the bathroom and letting it heat up a little before bringing Frankie in for his spray and letting him dry off there. Happy for other suggestions too!!

I want to give Frankie more constant baths to help with his moult but that's why I've been a little put off. Last thing I want is him getting sick because he was bathed in cold conditions.

I want to use my diffuser but I have to give it a thorough clean. Don't want to risk it spreading any left over oils around him since I used essential oils in there

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I switch on an edenpure space heater no Teflon in it in the room after a bath. Birdroom stays at 82-85 year round and 86 after a bath.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sounds normal to me. The "dandruff" is most likely the sheaths of the new feathers (pins) he's preening off. Whilst he's still losing the fluffies. Showering will help soften the pins. He looks lovely - in great condition.
I was going to comment the same.
3 of mine have just finished molting. Needless to say my living room has been a mess! :)

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
When we got Dora the same thing happened. I think it is just a partial molt. I made a HUGE deal out of it as I placed a bowl of hot water near her to increase humidity and replaced it every 2-3 hours. In the end, nothing major happened.:)

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
Thanks for the info and tips guys! Frankie has been more quiet lately and looks a bit puffy. He's napping on me at the moment. Is this molting behaviour? I've heard they might sleep more or change in mood or behaviour but I always get a little freaked out when I see a puffy vibrating bird. He was vibrating earlier today and had his foot tucked into his feathers. He seems cold but everyone in the house insists the house isn't cold and won't let me turn the heater on.

So I'm not sure if he's acting like this because he's cold or because he's molting??

Attachments

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Neptune is just finishing up his molt also, he was a bit grumpy all last week.

Frankie may just be adjusting to his new home. He has been there 1 and a half week, so he might just be relaxing, molting and taking in all the new stuff. Tucking one foot into feathers is a sign of a relaxed and cosy bird. The vibration, is this the lower part of his abdomen, is it a short and temporary thing? I have noticed this behaviour on my Plumhead Parrot. Pi is healthy, I am not sure why they do this. Hopefully someone can add advise on the tummy feather vibrations. If it is what I am seeing, it is a very quick and short little feather spasm, to the feathers on the lower abdomen near the feet. Seems to happen when he is getting ready for a nap.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We use a oil radiator space heater in our bedroom, after a bath, Buddy goes in there w/ my husband or myself. Chills w/ us or on his basket till he's dry.

Looks like this sort of. Buddy has never gone near it flying or otherwise. I wouldn't recommend it if you can't place it run it where he can't land on it.

:hug8:

Attachments

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
Fashionfobie yes! It is in his abdomen and it only happens for a few minutes on and off during the day it's not all the time. Generally in the morning to late morning.

Rain bow that's a good idea I might look into some type of safe space heater for future reference. We are going into autumn anyway

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
They do it to generate body heat if I remember correctly.
Well it isn't an all body shiver. It is very localized. We are still in summer here, and it has been pretty hot. If anything our little ones are enjoying more frequent refreshing cooling baths. It seems to be comfort related, maybe even cooling?

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is just an educated guess. What does his feet tell you? If his feet are cold it could be him too!

If his feet are warm, he's regulating his internal temp, like us taking a piece of clothing. Everything I read tells me that is where they get their heat from. That's why they sell heated perches. I agree that the foot up in the feathers is a pre-nap "comfortable/comfort" thing. I don't have a IRN tho. So I could be a little off.