• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my bird acting normal or strange?

Is my bird strange or normal in her behavior?

• Normal behavior

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Strange behavior

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cat The Great

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
Georgie is my yellow-winged canary parakeet and I love her to death. However, I am becoming increasingly worried about how she behaves ( I am assuming my bird is female, but I have no idea what gender Georgie actually is ). Georgie has a cage full of toys and three different perches, but she only likes to hang out on one. She occasionally plays with her toys day to day and will only use one corner of her cage and goes down only to eat her food and drink water. She will sleep most of afternoon and morning( this is just because I am doing school). Just recently she has not been taking care of her beak ( Not keeping it short enough, I have been trying to encourage to grind her beak, but she’s not interested). But she does sing and when she is out, she’s very active. She has been eating and drinking well. She is molting I don’t know if this factors in her weird behavior as of late. Any advice on what is wrong with my bird or what I am doing wrong is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Caitlyn

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I can't quiet figure out what part of her behavior you find weird. Is something she's doing now different from the past. You speak of her beak. Is it just too long or is it becoming misshaped ? Some birds have to have their beaks ground down by a vet occasionally. Does she have a lava rock or something like that to bite on ?

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Georgie is my yellow-winged canary parakeet and I love her to death. However, I am becoming increasingly worried about how she behaves ( I am assuming my bird is female, but I have no idea what gender Georgie actually is ). Georgie has a cage full of toys and three different perches, but she only likes to hang out on one. She occasionally plays with her toys day to day and will only use one corner of her cage and goes down only to eat her food and drink water. She will sleep most of afternoon and morning( this is just because I am doing school). Just recently she has not been taking care of her beak ( Not keeping it short enough, I have been trying to encourage to grind her beak, but she’s not interested). But she does sing and when she is out, she’s very active. She has been eating and drinking well. She is molting I don’t know if this factors in her weird behavior as of late. Any advice on what is wrong with my bird or what I am doing wrong is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Caitlyn
Grinding her beak is like a cat purring and is a sign of contentment or when they are getting ready to take a nap. You can't make them grind her beak on demand. Some birds are high activity birds and some are perch potatoes. If you are concerned, you should take her to the vet. Birds are strange and are slaves to routine. If that perch is her favorite, it is her favorite. Can we see a picture of her beak?

Cat The Great

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
To clear up confusion, I mean that she is keeping her beak too long. She does have toys and perches to chew on to keep her beak down, but she has not been doing this

Cat The Great

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
A62B7E97-9E30-4B31-9917-AA603C9096C3.jpeg Here is the picture, I hope this helps. She used to use her toys and perches to keep her beak down, but now she won’t.

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Her beak does look a little long but I'm no expert on that. Did she gradually quit playing with her toys , or suddenly. She may have just become bored with them. If it's very sudden she may not be feeling great. If anything else points to her maybe not feeling great she may have a problem. My gcc used to play fight with her toys all the time but she's gradually playing less. Just a sign they aren't as interesting to her as they used to be. You can have a bird vet grind her beak down if it gets too long. Maybe she would play with some new different toys. I keep a lava rock for cheeky to bite on and rub her beak against. Seems she mostly uses it to wipe food off but her beak doesn't overgrow

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Could there be something that's scaring her on the side of the cage she doesn't go to?

A new toy/perch/piece of furniture/painting/etc etc?

Birds sometimes are afraid of the most inconspicuous things.

Cat The Great

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlyn
CrazyBirdChick, I don’t think there is anything that is scaring her. I have been slowly introducing a new lava rock to her, but it has not been in her cage all the time and she only sees it maybe once a day or every other day to get her used to it.

Donna, I think that you are right that she could be getting bored with her toys. She is gradually playing less and less with them, even though I switch them out. I guess I have to buy some more toys.

Thanks to everyone who has been responding, I really appreciate it.