• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is My Baby a Girl or a BoyBoy

Modell

Strolling the yard
Hello Everyone! For those who read my first post, my baby is doing well, though I've discarded the name Bernie. For those that did not read my first post, here is some background information: I recently bought my first bird. He/she just hatched April 1st. He/she is a pearl cockatiel and was flying at 3 weeks. They now are talking pretty clearly, though it's only one phrase(Pretty bird with the whistle at the end, lol). I was wondering if there was any way to tell at this age what his/her sex is? Thank you in advance!
Ps: Any name suggestions? IMG_20170515_170705_676.jpg IMG_20170514_224134_166.jpg IMG_20170515_170705_676.jpg IMG_20170514_224134_166.jpg 20170512_171901.jpg 20170512_171850.jpg 14949735617151467924199.jpg

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
OMG! So cute!:faint:
You might have to wait for his first big molt to tell the sex, but talking is a good indicator of a boy.

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
What a gorgeous bird.........love the coloring. He/she photographs beautifully. Alex is a nice name or Alexa, but Alex could actually be for either a boy or a girl. Congratulations with your new best friend!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I'm leaning towards male.

Do you know what mutation the mother is?

Modell

Strolling the yard
I believe they were both pearl. The breeder initially said it was a Girl based on the vent, but changed her mind because he/she didn't have barring on his tail feathers.

Modell

Strolling the yard
So, I tried asking the breeder, but she didn't tell me what the parents looked like and instead told me to look for barring. It may be important to note that the breeder has only had birds for three summers. I'm slightly at a loss.

Modell

Strolling the yard
That kind of helps, but the tail is still confusing me. The young pearl hen tail pictured at the bottom of the boxes looked more like my baby's tail. Hmmm, I seem to get andronous animals. I've had androgynous betas, cichlids, turtles, you name it, lol! The breeder did just tell me that the dad was a grey and mom was a "Pearl." The pearl part was put in quotation marks in the text.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:omg::heart::heart::heart:

Has a boy vibe but least w pearls you will know eventually after the molt.

Modell

Strolling the yard
I wanted to update everyone with a behavior I've noticed my baby exhibiting. She/he likes to hang upside down and hold her/his wings out. I've read a bit about this and believe it is called "bat wings." My grandma notes that her female she had many years ago did this. Is this a more typically female behavior? She/he does it quite frequently, especially when I put her/his cover on.

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I don't know if bat wings is a more female behavior or not, but your discription in the other thread makes your bird sound like a boy.

Modell

Strolling the yard
I'm not really sure, she/he does not do heart wings though. My baby might be a little mixed up, lol. I'll keep everyone updated as time goes on. Thank you for all your help!

Modell

Strolling the yard
I don't know if this information will help, but my baby does have a vent that looks like a dash.

JCG351

Meeting neighbors
The baby is soo adorable. Love the 'design' she/he has on her feathers it's so beautiful. The one thing I do know is to look at the orange on the cheeks. A vet once told me the brighter orange cheeks are typically male while darker or duller is female. As for the bat wings, none of my birds have exhibited that so I cannot help for that detail. But males are usually more vocal than females. When I got Piko he started whistling after he was comfortable enough while Pika took longer to be vocal.

Modell

Strolling the yard
Thank you, I love my baby to bits.
Hmmm, I'm not really sure about her/his cheeks myself. I'll have to look in the light tomorrow to see better.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Unless you know specifically what to look for, looking at the cheeks is worthless in some mutations.

Casey, my cinnamon pearl pied hen. Lays eggs.

Tomi Girl, pied hen. Wolf whistles and lays eggs.

Modell

Strolling the yard
They're so cute and look so sweet! Hmmm, I have no idea what to look for, so I'm not really sure what type of cheeks my baby has. I tried looking more closely and saw that there were both yellow and grey streaks, I don't know what that means. I found pictures of my Grandma's hen from before I was born and she had pretty bright cheeks though. One of the parents may have been a split to a lutino(Which my Grandma's hen was), but I'm not sure if that matters or not.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Hens cannot be split to lutino... at least, not SL-Ino. NSL-Ino is so rare that it's hard to find within pet birds unless you know 100% without a doubt that the bird came from stock that had NSL-Ino genetics. With SL-Ino, you can only get visual males if both parents carry the gene. If only the father carries the gene, then you'll get visual female offspring, regardless if he's split or visual.

Examples

SL-Ino Male x Normal Female
100% Normal Males split Ino
100% Lutino Females

Male split SL-Ino x Normal Female
50% Normal Males
50% Normal Males split Ino
50% Normal Females
50% Lutino Females

NSL-Ino Male x Normal Female split NSL-Ino
50% Lutino Males
50% Normal Females split Ino
50% Lutino Females

Normal Male split NSL-Ino x Normal Female split NSL-Ino
25% Normal Males
25% Lutino Males
50% Normal Females split Ino
25% Normal Females
25% Lutino Females

Confusing, right? :D

Regardless, you should know in 8 months or less for sure if you have a boy or a girl!

Modell

Strolling the yard
Hey, sorry I've been a bit inactive, I had an adoption disaster. I did notice that my babies feathers that were clipped(By the breeder before I fully purchased her) are growing back with what appears to be pearling. I don't know if she the is too young for that as well though.