• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is Mineral block safe for parakeets???

monjur sayad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
monjur sayad
Hi, I found this mineral block here in my country I attached the picture you can see 61518769_299749364293520_8085641505156366336_n.jpg
In this mineral block they use plaster of paris to make it dried. So I want to know you can see all ingredients here with plaster of paris. Is these ingredients are safe for parakeets?? Please let me know, Thanks

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Mineral blocks are mostly for beak health. By that I mean a bird will scrape the beak to keep it free of messes after eating. I would not count on them to replace a good diet for calcium and other minerals. So to answer your question, yes they are ok to put insdie the cage.

Mineral blocks fulfil a similar function to cuttlefish bone, supplying extra essentials for your budgie’s physical well-being. Leave the block clipped to the side off the cage at all times, even if your bird isn’t showing much interest it. He will nibble it when he needs it, and you won’t have to worry about mineral deficiency.

All pet stores with a bird section will stock mineral blocks complete with clips to attach them to the cage. Check the ingredients before buying, though, and avoid any product that contains manmade substances (charcoal is fine) or artificial coloring or flavorings.

Be careful of the clip that attaches to the cage. If it is metal I would find another way to attach it. Some of these clips have tested positive for zinc which is toxic to birds.

Last edited: