• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Is It Vomit or Regurgitation?

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
I was on the phone just a moment ago and noticed Cooper tapping his beak on his perch. I've heard him knock several times in the night and I think it's cute, but this time there was some white-milky kind of stuff coming out of his mouth? I googled it, thinking it was just him regurgitating but I'm not so sure since this has never happened before. It wasn't watery so I know it wasn't the normal kind of vomit people see. I can take the perch out and smell the little bit that there is on the perch, but I don't know what to smell for in terms of it smelling sour?

I do line the tray in his cage with newspaper and I give him some to shred. I am 80% sure he just shreds it and doesn't eat it. A piece of newspaper fell into his water for a split second and I didn't change the water because I didn't think it was a big deal. Could that have caused it?
We also just moved to a new apartment and my roommate placed air freshener plug ins in the kitchen, her bedroom, living room, and bathroom. Cooper spends 90% of his time in a closed door room with no air fresheners but I did take him into Carinas room because he was on my shoulder and we were talking about a bill we needed to pay. We were only there for a moment - no longer than two minutes. Could that have caused it?
Recently I switched Cooper from one kind of pellet to another, but he's been on it for a week. Is there any way that the food change is related?

In ways of description, it wasn't watery and it's kinda chunky and white.
I took all of the air fresheners out of "common" areas of the apartment and told my roommate we can't use them anymore because of what just happened.
What else can I do to make sure he's okay?

He's not showing any signs of illness - his poops are solid and the same color as before, he's not fluffed, or seeming sleepy. He's actually screaming in my right ear at this very moment.

I was going to take him to the vet after I get paid next Friday, but should I move the appointment up?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Sounds like regurgitation to me. My cockatiels have been doing that lately and they tap their beak on the perch or cage.
When Joey throws up he flings it every where, then slides (not knocking) the sides of his beak on the perch to wipe the excess.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
If you have concern you could call the vet to get their opinion.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Doesn't air circulate? I stopped using air fresheners because it does.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
get rid of the air fresheners first off, they are toxic to birds, and even to us humans. ask anyone that has asthma what they do to the lungs. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze, cough wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze some more......

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Hi, Reggie,
I think that you should get rid of the plug-in's.
Hope your roommate will concur.
Good luck.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yes, definitely got rid of all the plug ins in the apartment. And to me, it sounds like regurgitation, but I would watch him. Regurgitation is controlled- like they're forcing something up from their throats. Vomiting is more side to side with food kind of going everywhere.

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
Thank you all for replying! I've been busy with graduation stuff today so I just got back to this.
I did get rid of all of the plug-ins as soon as I noticed him regurgitating. I'm agitated because I'd told her "No plug-ins or air fresheners" before we'd even moved in, but she got back from visiting her parents Monday and snuck them around me.

Sounds like regurgitation to me. My cockatiels have been doing that lately and they tap their beak on the perch or cage.
When Joey throws up he flings it every where, then slides (not knocking) the sides of his beak on the perch to wipe the excess.

That seems to be what he was doing because he showed no other signs of illness, and I watched him all the rest of the night. I'm glad someone else has experienced regurgitation!

If you have concern you could call the vet to get their opinion.
I was going to, but I posted this to make sure I was only being paranoid.

Doesn't air circulate? I stopped using air fresheners because it does.
Yeah, I don't use them either. But my room-mate is one of those people who doesn't like to clean things, she just covers up the bad smells of things being dirty with "smell-goods." It's agitating.

get rid of the air fresheners first off, they are toxic to birds, and even to us humans. ask anyone that has asthma what they do to the lungs. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze, cough wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze some more......
That's probably why I've been having issues! Urgh!

Hi, Reggie,
I think that you should get rid of the plug-in's.
Hope your roommate will concur.
Good luck.

She did and I did immediately after I inspected the apartment to try and find out why Cooper threw-up.

Yes, definitely got rid of all the plug ins in the apartment. And to me, it sounds like regurgitation, but I would watch him. Regurgitation is controlled- like they're forcing something up from their throats. Vomiting is more side to side with food kind of going everywhere.
Then it was regurgitation I think, because he did that little head bob and then some came up.
I watched him and he's been his normal self since.
I'm really glad I was just being paranoid!