• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it too late to get a 2nd?

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
I'm really considering getting another caique, but I'm not sure how successful I'll be at introducing a new bird this late in the game. Kate just turned two, and I'm starting to worry about her social needs.

Lily and Sam don't share a cage but they do spend a couple hours together each day, and it really seems to do something for them. Lily still screams when I'm not holding her but when she's with Sam it's considerably less frantic. Kate bangs her beak against the bars when they're out and screeches to be let out.

For the most part Kate is a happy bird. When she's alone, she entertains herself with toys and she's pretty independent.But sometimes I can tell she's lonely. She tries to mimic the birds outside. She still tries with Lily, but she completely rejected her right from the start. I honestly think Lily puts up with Sam because he practically worships her. Because of Kate's personality, I can't just have her chill out next to me while I'm doing work. I love Kate and I want her to be a happy bird.

I wanted to know what you guys think.

:sun:Lily DOH 5/5/2014:wbc:Kate DOH 5/2/2015:ysgcc:Sam DOH 9/6/2013

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
You may get another bird that rejects Kate...then what will you do?
BUT I'm pretty much always for getting another bird if someone wants one. :D

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
That's hard to tell.

My Loki (female-born 2003) was three when Puck (female-born 2006) joined. Very different personalities. Loki is dominant and smart in street-smart kind of way (manipulative!). So Loki is the leader. Puck is the follower. They do not share a cage.

Last year, Loki and Puck met my bird sitter's WBC (male), and they accepted him right away, at least as a visitor. It was interesting to see how they recognize own kind immediately.

By the way, they do not play with my Amazon, but they do not bother him.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Yes you have left it a bit late. But whatever introduction issues you have now will only be multiplied as time passes. It is likely that Kate will accept another friend, eventually. It could happen on the spot, especially if the new bird is younger.

But I would prepare myself for a slow gradual introduction

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
If we bought a bird and Kate was rejected, we would keep the new bird for sure. I'm not the type to make a commitment and give up that easily. But if that happens i'd be in the same boat...

I'm open to adopting an older caique or a baby. My breeder lets me visit while the babies are still hand feeding. If Kate were to meet a baby there and get along with him or her then would that be a good indicator of them being a good match or would that be irrelevant?

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I'm open to adopting an older caique or a baby. My breeder lets me visit while the babies are still hand feeding. If Kate were to meet a baby there and get along with him or her then would that be a good indicator of them being a good match or would that be irrelevant?
Thats the ideal scenario. Let them pick their own friends and mates

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't think it's to late. Not with a Caique. Good luck! :)

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
It's never too late.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
It's never too late.
It is often too late with caiques. I've seen parents attack their own baby which they hadnt seen for a month. I've seen a quaker beaten half to death by his best mate, a caique.

I have a gang of caiques, and there are a few of them who have an active dislike for others. Only the large space I provide stops fights breaking out.

It is no good hoping all will be well. It often is, but you could be unlucky and its HATE at first sight

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
So the breeder I usually use has no more baby caiques, as all of his are spoken for. Apparently the breed is really growing in popularity. In order to get one from him I'd have to wait till next year. I'm not sure if I should wait or purchase from a breeder who ships. If so, anyone who could recommend a breeder would be helpful.

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
Should I get a cage big enough to house them together (keeping the cage Kate has of course) or just get one around the same size as the one Kate has and have them live seperately?

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Should I get a cage big enough to house them together (keeping the cage Kate has of course) or just get one around the same size as the one Kate has and have them live seperately?
It is possible that they will take an instant liking to each other, in which case you might risk one cage, if it is VERY LARGE

Otherwise, for reasons of
a) quarantine
b) avoiding instant squabbles or fights ( the cage you have BELONGS TO YOUR CURRENT BIRD ( in his Mind at least))

it would be better to cage them separately at first.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I often say it like this.
If they have grown up together (like siblings) you can cage them together, if not:
One bird - one cage. Two birds - two cages.
And you will also need two cages in the beginning for quarantine.

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
If I did get a big cage that could potentially house them both, do you have any recommendations? Most of the ones I looked at have 1 inch or more for the bar spacing. The cage Kate has now is 32W-24D-64H, which is probably a little on the small size. I figure even if I end up housing them together, I will always keep Kate's cage as a backup.

Today, when I took Kate to the bird store to get her beak trimmed, she met another caique. This caique was seven and actually had a pionus as a buddy. Her owner kindly offered to let me see how Kate would react to meeting another caique. It went really well. They were hopping around on the floor together and neither of them attacked each other. Kate followed the older caique around like a puppy. It was so adorable, I wish I had a video but my phone had died. They were too cautious to really wrestle but considering they only played for 15 minutes or so, I took the interaction was a positive sign that Kate would accept another caique.

Sort of as an aside...can bhc and wbc be housed together? Are they less likely to accept one another?

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Looks like Kate is very receptive to getting a new friend, but note that this happened on neutral territory. Sharing a food bowl would have been a bigger test.

But it looks good

WBC and BHC will get along fine.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
This caique was seven and actually had a pionus as a buddy. Her owner kindly offered to let me see how Kate would react to meeting another caique. It went really well. They were hopping around on the floor together and neither of them attacked each other. Kate followed the older caique around like a puppy. It was so adorable, I wish I had a video but my phone had died. They were too cautious to really wrestle but considering they only played for 15 minutes or so, I took the interaction was a positive sign that Kate would accept another caique.
That is the Caique that you should get for Kate. :)
But like I said, not in the same cage. Not worth the risk.

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
I wish but her owner wasn't looking to rehome her.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
The sooner you do this the better. I tried to introduce my 14 year old male caique to a two year old female. She was very interested in him, but my bird was not. In fact after a few days, he went after her. He was very jealous of any attn. I gave her. He was too bonded to me. From his standpoint, he had waited all day for me to come home from work and he wanted to be the center of attn. I had to return the bird to the owner, who was very gracious about taking her back. That bird was a two year old female, who obviously wanted a playmate, so maybe it is not too late for you.

I would be very hesitant about housing them in the same cage until you can be ABSOLULTELY certain there will be no aggression. I would personally wait several months. I would also get a VERY large cage or aviary if you do house them together. I say this so that if one bird is attacked, there is room so another bird can try to escape. Your bird is still young, but in a couple years, she may change. My boy was the perfect pet until about 4 yrs of age, where he started to become dangerously aggressive. This is not uncommon for caiques. There are quite a few stories of birds being killed or mutilated by caiques. In fact, a rescue had a caique who had most of his beak ripped off by another caique. I would be very careful about housing them together.

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
So I took the plunge and put a deposit down on a baby. He/she won't be weaned for another month or two, but we should know the gender in a week. I had a hard time finding a breeder close to me, so I had to settle for one 7 hours away. Less than ideal, but it was the best I could do. The babies were too small for Kate to meet properly. I decided on caging them separately. It seems safer that way.

Do you guys have any recommendations on cages?

Do you think the gender will matter?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Good wishes to you. I hope they will become friends.