• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it too early?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoomama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Risa is 2 yrs 5 months old, and has been doing the "horny song", quiver wings dance thing off and on for a few months. Today, my sweet :angel3: who hasn't had a bad day in her entire life, acted like :devil: girl. She was on her playstand and I offered her a scritch, but she turned away so I didn't press it. I stayed there though, and asked her for a kiss..stood there with my lips pursed and ready...she just looked at me, never fanned her tail, never turned away like she usually does if she doesn't want something, never puffed up or changed posture, then lunged at me and bit at me/the air...missing my lips by centimeters. :eek: I'm wondering if this is hormones starting up. She hasn't been near as interested in scritches or hanging out on me the last few weeks. But I thought it was still a little early for hormones. She's a BHP. What do you think?

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
No, I think she could be feeling it already at that age; her hormonal surges, that is, which would explain her sudden change in behaviour (terrible teens). She may be too young to actually physically reproduce (or not recommended) but being almost halfway into her third year does not sound too far-fetched an explanation for hormonal changes. She could be an early bloomer. The good news is, that it doesn't last forever.
I don't have experience with BHP, but this is my inexperienced guess with this species. I am sure that other BHP parronts will chime in here soon to give you some more specific first hand opinions ;)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Yes it is probably hormones and no it's not too early. Both Andre my current BHPi and Olivia (RIP) my first BHPi started showing hormonal behavior at about 2.5 yrs.

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
Absolutely, both my bwp, both 3 this year, have shown plenty of hormonal behaviors :eek:

Flit

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Nicole
Alita started being hormonal a year ago (she'll be 3 this June)...so I don't know if it's too early for yours or not! And yeah, I would never do "kisses" with Alita...I'll do that with Boo, because he can't do that much damage even when he tries. But Alita now...she can do some real damage without even trying! :eek: I almost lost the tip of my pinky finger to her last year, but managed to reattach it.

zoomama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Thanks for the input. She's back to her happy sweet self again, at least for now. If that's as bad as it gets, I'll be very happy, although I know I probably just got a short taste of what may be to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.