• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it safe to leave a cat collar in my lovebird's cage?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
So, I bought a little set of jingly bells for my birds that came with a cat collar that also has a small bell on it. I had no idea what to do with the collar, but my birds love their bells, so I decided to pick it up anyways.

One of my lovebirds fell in love with the collar. She had loads of fun attacking the bell, wrestling with it, flipping over to attack it with her feets, ect.

I'd like to put it in her cage if I can, but I'm not sure if it's safe and just want to make sure before I do anything. Outside of the cage, she'd only have it with supervision. I don't think she can get hurt on it, especially if I leave it unclipped, but I just want to be certain first.

It's one of these, except hers is blue and has little daisies all over it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Those bells are not bird safe. The metal contains zinc which can poison your bird, they can get their beak trapped in the opening, and if they the ball inside out they can swallow it which again poisons them ot choke them

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wouldn't leave that in the cage or let her play with that even with supervision. What type of metal is the bell made out of? If it's not stainless or nickel plated then it could be toxic. Get her a bird safe bell instead.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It's a cat toy. Not a bird toy. The bell is dangerous for all the reasons stated.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Those bells are not bird safe. The metal contains zinc which can poison your bird, they can get their beak trapped in the opening, and if they the ball inside out they can swallow it which again poisons them ot choke them
Ah, really? That sucks. Good thing I asked.

I wouldn't leave that in the cage or let her play with that even with supervision. What type of metal is the bell made out of? If it's not stainless or nickel plated then it could be toxic. Get her a bird safe bell instead.
I'm not entirely sure. I really just picked it up for the sturdy looking plastic jingly balls it came packaged with. I can never really find the right ones for her, tbh. She doesn't like bells, she likes jingly balls, but the ones I find marketed for birbs in stores are usually very flimsy.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
It's a cat toy. Not a bird toy. The bell is dangerous for all the reasons stated.
There aren't really a lot of options for me to buy this stuff on island, and what I can find for birbs is often cheap and flimsy. I'm worried she'd just chew right through the birb stuff and get hurt. If you know where I could find good jingly bells specifically designed for lovebirbs and could link me to it, I'd appreciate it. Most of the pet stores near where I live don't even carry cuttlebones or beak blocks, so it can be difficult to find good toys.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
They seem to like what they can't have. Check with our Canadian vendors to find small stainless steel bells.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
They seem to like what they can't have. Check with our Canadian vendors to find small stainless steel bells.
Hah, tell me about it.

I've never really checked the forums for toys and stuff, but I guess I'll give it a shot.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Many a bird has died of been cripled by metal toxicity. We all need to be super vigilant about what goes in the cage.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Last edited: