• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it safe to give ginger and turmeric to budgies?

MoonBirdie

Sitting on the front steps
Hi all,

I’ve been on this site many times reading other posts, but this is my actual first post here! Hope it all goes well. :greet14:

Main question: I heard many times across online forums and videos that ginger and turmeric mixed in water is good for birds, like for treating nausea symptoms and improving their immune system. My budgie has had on/off nausea for a few months now, and I gave them to him a few months ago (separately, not together). Nothing bad happened. He even started feeling a little better. I don’t know if that’s a coincidence or not, but I considered it to be good. However, yesterday I called my vet (well, I only spoke to the receptionist) and generally asked if it’s okay to use these. She directly said no it’s not recommended, and not to listen to internet advice on birds. I do understand that I shouldn’t believe everything blindly, and I definitely don‘t - I search for proof and well-detailed experiences and stories a LOT, so I never found anything particularly wrong with giving ginger and turmeric. The receptionist seemed to know her bird stuff pretty well so I don’t want to dismiss her advice, but then again it seemed kind of odd. I really want to look for some supplemental home remedies, so… what do you think? Have your vets ever said anything about using ginger and turmeric, and how has it worked in your experience? I hope it’s not actually bad.

———————————

Backstory if needed:
So one of my budgies (named Blue) is a bit sick. It’s a long story, but to keep it short: he has had on/off nausea for the past six months (October to now in March). He only threw up on two days though, February and March. The rest of it has just been head-bobbing nausea movements and feeling tired. It would last for a few days and then he would return to his usual hype and singing. Then go back to being sick after a few weeks. It’s really hard to see this cycle happening so often.

Based on what I’ve read from others, it seems to be some kind of bacterial infection maybe. We went to the vet and they did a test for AGY, which came back negative :) Then he got a broad spectrum antibiotic for 7 days, which helped him feel a little better. He sang one day, which was such a relief. But it was just one day, and now he is still sick.

I was also told to give him apple cider vinegar, 15mL per quart of water changed daily. I converted this to 1 mL per 65mL water because that’s how big his water cup is. I have actually been giving him apple cider vinegar once a week since December, but I changed it to daily after the vet told me. I didn’t know it’s okay to give it everyday.

Back in December when I gave him the apple cider vinegar, I also found from online research that ginger and turmeric is good for them in these kinds of nauseous situations. I found this in many forums and videos, and so it seemed good. I gave him some ginger water and turmeric water. I don’t know if it’s a coincidence or not, but he seemed to improve a little when I gave it to him.

Now here comes my actual question. Yesterday the vet office called me to ask how is Blue doing, and I told them as such. I was talking to the receptionist, and she seemed to have good bird knowledge. I have never actually spoken to the vet ever (which is weird but I guess that’s how it works?). I casually asked her in the middle if it’s okay to give ginger and turmeric (in water) and she straight up said no it’s not recommended. I found that odd because it seems popular and healthy, so why would it be unsafe? Is it true that it’s actually bad? What are your experiences with vets and your birds when using ginger and turmeric?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
:welave:

I would want fecal or swab to check for yeast overgrowth, not the AGY , just regular yeast.. I would want to know what's causing nausea.

I do not add ginger or tumeric to water..I don't like additions to water . Apple cider being the exception, but I don't use personally so defer to those that do. Well and I'm ok doing doxy water if prescribed by vet . But I do not do vitamin or ginger or tumeric in water.

I do offer ginger and tumeric to my birds, they can choose to eat or not . There is a safe amount by weight to offer , which I don't know off the top of my head .

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I use a bird supplement powder that has ginger and turmeric that a sprinkle over their food. I get it at Christine's Chop Shop.