• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it possible to tame and Indian Ringneck???

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgreenaway

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
A friend of mine has been working at a vet clinic and someone has some Indian Ringnecks that are over a year old and are not tame and she has asked me if I wanted to take in one of them. My fiance loves Ringnecks (from youtube videos) and from my research I understand they can be difficult birds at times but a lot of people recommend them as pets. My question is how hard would it be to tame one over a year old and is it worth it? I am a stay at home mom and I have tamed untame lovebirds in the past but have never worked with an untame larger parrot. Any input would be great.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
It is possible, but from my understanding they're usually "hands off" birds. I'd say the same principles as taming the lovies would apply, except that I think the IRN have a greater tendency to bluff and challenge their owners.

As for the "is it worth it" question, I'd say that's entirely up to you. Take a look at the other threads here and do some reading on the species to see if their personality would be for you.

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Definitely possible, it might just take some time! My parents have a ringneck, Smudge, who was untame when they got her at at least a year old. She came around quite quickly:)

cgreenaway

Real Name
Claire
Ok. Thanks for the suggestions. I am alright with a "hands off" bird. My lovies were the same way. They would come and fly to your head and would take treats from your hands but would never step up. I've read a little about the bluffing that Ringnecks do when they are younger and starting to mature and it reminds me a little of the macaw lunge but I definitely want to make sure that any parrot we do adopt is going to be right for our family. I do have lots of patience and can sit in front of a cage for an hour holding a piece of millet until the bird comes to see what I'm all about and whether or not I can hold the bird in the end is not the main concern for me. But I don't like keeping birds locked up all day so my cockatiel is out ALL day and the next bird would be the same (as long as they don't go after each other). As long as the bird gets a good life, proper nutrition and enough toys to keep him/her busy all I want to see in the end is a happy bird. :)

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I'd say go for it then. Just be sure that you're okay with separate out of cage times if the little one doesn't get along with your tiel

Sparkles

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Iskra
Of course it is...mine was parent raised, untame girl when I got her...now she cuddles with everyone in my household! They need a lot of work to tame them, a lot of patience and most importantly lots of love.

Zeb

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Zeb
Oh my gosh, I have a a IRN that is one of my tamest birds! Almost every person that has met her asks if " they can have her "! I've seen some nippy ones in pet stores, but never thought of them as untamable.

Olive will let you pet her ( neck or back ), steps up and down on command, whistles, rides on your shoulder, and loves to share food.

So, yes, I would say it's absolutely possible!

beakybirdie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danielle
Zeus and I get along famously, I wouldn't say he is 'hands off' but he will definitely let me know when he doesn't want to be messed with. I adore him and his little princely attitude, they know they are gorgeous :D

I wouldn't know about taming them, as Zeus and I got along from the start but I would imagine a lot of patience. It takes a LOT of patience living with Zeus as he is and he is the sweetest little thing. They more often than a macaw, and trust me that's saying something! When Zeus is grumpy, he eye pins and will growl and attack the surrounding toys, striking out like a viper. Usually though I can tell him to calm down in a soft voice and repeat the Step Up and he will do it, ust takes some time.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Keiba, my Indian Ringneck, is one of the sweetest birds I have ever had! I love Indian Ringnecks, and even if Keiba was not hands-on, I would still love him all the same.

It is certainly possible to tame an Indian Ringneck, you just need to give it time, patience, and go at his/her pace – using lots of positive reinforcement can go a long way, too. :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Older IRN's can be tamed.They are very intellegent and curious.Most of them I have encountered are not overly "hands on cuddly" birds. Our IRN, Titan is that way. He enjoys sitting on your shoulder and intreracting with you, but not "hands on". He never bites,and hasn't bluffed at it for years. He is a great "birdie ambassador" when we go out visiting.
He is out of his cage, along with our tiels when we are home. They all get along prety well, although the tiels sometimes like to get a little pushy with Titan. He's very mellow with them....

cgreenaway

Real Name
Claire
Thats great. A lot of wonderful advice. We are definitely still debating it but I'm glad there are a lot of positive feedbacks. :) It gives me a lot of hope since my fiance is definitely the one who is in love with these charming birds.

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I have always been a believer that any bird can be tamed if you have the time, love and patience to give.

Endlesaley

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aley
My boy is 10 months old. Even though he has a bit of an attitude and growls here and there, he is extremely tame and very cuddly! Hes the opposite of what ive read about IRNs. He has never bit me, is friendly with everyone, including new people, and is happiest cuddled up against me. I love my baby.

Status
Not open for further replies.