• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it possible to tame an adult Cockatiel?

northghosts

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi, I have a male cockatiel. I was told by the store that he is 12 weeks however I've recently been told by others he is at least a year old with how yellow his face is.

We've had him for almost a month now and have seemed to make no progress with taming him. We are being very gentle and quiet around him and trying to get him used to our hand being in the cage (changing food and sometimes just putting our hand in there with a treat to show it is safe). If we get too close he will not bite but he will occasionally hiss. He will always back away and start flapping about the cage. I have tried putting millet through the cage but he seems to be flying away from that too. I'm considering getting him a little play area outside of his cage and letting him out and hoping he eventually realises I'm not going to hurt him.

However the main point of this post: I'm just wondering if it's even possible to do this. I'd really like to have him tame and eventually teach him to step up but he just seems so afraid of everything. Any tips I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Attachments

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In a bird’s mind, a month is like a couple days. I believe you can bring him around, but it is going to take time and lots of patience. He is going to be scared for a while. It might be a couple months before he realizes his new home is good. But for right now, it is still unfamiliar.

Being quiet and gentle is good. Don’t make any sudden moves. Do you cover him when it is bedtime? A part of his cage should not be covered. What do you feed him? Where is his cage? How big is it?

Years ago, when we adopted Snuggles, one of our two tiels, he was the friendlier one. The vet says Snuggles is now a cranky senior citizen. He is not fond of handling, but he has to have meds every night, so I can’t fault him.

Anyway, patience and time. He is a cute little fella.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Just wanted to say a big welcome here. A month is not a very long time, so keep doing what you're doing and have lots of patience! My bet is he will come around. They are all so different, and have their own time schedules as to when they warm up to us giant predators who are lucky enough to have them in our lives. He sure is a cutie pie. :heart:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Welcome to the sited! The people on here are amazing.

One of my friends took in a very angry and very abused Triton Cockatoo a few years back. That bird was wild caught, in his thirties and all he would do is just sit in his cage and hiss at anyone who walked by. The poachers had hit and poke him with sticks and he had the scars to prove it. Within a year this cockatoo had bonded with my friend and was stepping up while eating from his hand.

It can be done, but not overnight.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
However the main point of this post: I'm just wondering if it's even possible to do this.
Yes it is. Age isn't a problem, more what kind of experience they have of humans before.

Make sure he have everything he needs. Great food, a big cage, a lot of toys, outside cage time every day, and some great playstands when he is out.
And don't tame him in his cage. The cage is his and that must be the place where he can feel safe.
If you respect that you will soon see that he feels more comfortable when you is around.

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
Northghosts & teil!!
THE I HOPE YOU ENJOY THE AVENUE!! WE'RE A BUNCH OF ANIMAL LOVERS HERE!! HOPE YOU FIT RIGHT IN!!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You have excellent advice here so I can only add a welcome and wish for a happy bird in time.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's a cutie! I consider a year still almost a baby. Yes, with time and patience he can be tamed. My tiel was 15 when he came to live with us. We believe he had little or no out of the cage time. It took about 3 weeks before he would even come out of his cage and then about another 3-4 months before he would leave the room his cage was in. He became a complete cuddle bug and was so good that we let him live cage free (except for bedtime). So just try to move at his pace. And millet spray can be a great cockatiel motivator. :)

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Longer than a month is pretty standard even for a baby. I got my late tiel at 10 weeks, and she didn't get comfortable until I had her for 2 months. Even then, she'd h iss (I called it huffing and puffing) at certain people up until she passed at 18 months.

D&G

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Estelle
15295949915251531030737297935578.jpg 15295949915251531030737297935578.jpg We have bought a Male and female just over 2 months ago from a flea marketThey both step up now at least but only on a perch. Was told they are a year old. The Male hisses at me all the time and female seems a little friendlier. But both will not allow us to touch them though. I was hoping for some safe answers. I just found out o may have COPD and want to have some eucalyptus oil around is the oil safe in same room with birds?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
@northghosts Yes. Check this thread out! :)

"Self-Tamed" Cockatiels | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

@D&G The eucalyptus leaves may be safe but the oil has a potential to be toxic. I'd err on the side of caution and not use it, at least until you can find more info. It may also be best to great your own thread with this topic in mind to get more replies geared towards your question.