• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it possible it's the cage?

VictoryCC124

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shanna
So I recently got Zora, my BFA, and I had set up my large travel cage for her while I cleaned her cage. She would sit on top of the travel cage, as I have set up ropes and a perch with her feeding dishes up there, and sleep inside at night (not always by choice). She's been hanging out there since Sunday evening. Today I finally set up her big cage after a MAJOR cleaning and replacing toys and perches. I set up the top off the cage with a thick rope and different toys. (At her previous homes she rarely got out of her cage, certainly not daily.)
Please keep in mind that she cannot be held, and I have to move her by wrapping her in a towel, which she do not like.
So I put her on her big cage, but she climbed right inside right away. And she's more aggressive in this cage. I mean, nothing like I witnessed when I picked her up, but still more than she's been since getting here. I can still pet her inside the cage, but I'm not anyone else will be able to, and I don't want this behavior to continue from her if I can help it.
My question: Do you think getting her a new cage would help this, or not likely? I mean, I'll be getting her a new cage eventually no matter what, but I'm wondering if I should make a higher priority here?
All of my birds have play stations set up above their cages, which is where they spend any time they're not on someone's shoulder or on a perch posted in my house. So cage size isn't that big of a deal, since they spend almost no time inside it. But will be sleeping inside hers at night.

Reggie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Reggie
When I got Cooper he was kind of cage aggressive (wouldn't let me touch him if he was in the cage, didn't let me change his food or water dishes, and would bite my fingers when I tried to open his cage up). I got him a new cage a few months after I got him. It's definitely bigger than his other one, and I could probably fit another conure in it comfortably, but he still tries to nip my fingers and won't let me touch him in the cage. I don't know if it's the cage, but there are probably people here with more experience than me.