• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

is it okay to ..

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Training can be a form of trust building and communication.

It's better to have a well behaved tame bird rather than an out of control tame bird.

Have you gone through the free training resources thread that I put together? Looks through the links? Videos?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think that he is still learning to trust you, and that you can still have a tame bird. Three months is long to us humans, but I encourage you to keep up the positive interactions and to have even more patience. Please don't give up, it just might take many, many months, but then you will have a wonderful bond with him that could only have come from respect, understanding, and perseverance.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Yeah i read all the training resources and bought 3 books about cockatiels that were suggested and read them all. I think its because he is too old to be tamed at this point =(

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I still think that a cage with a larger door would help...

And there is no such thing as "too old" if you train right, although definition of "tame" can vary from person to person. He appears to be figuring out the target training.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Yeah i read all the training resources and bought 3 books about cockatiels that were suggested and read them all. I think its because he is too old to be tamed at this point =(
i had a g2 Little General that it tok 17 years before he would talk and eat his veggies

i had another g2 Percy that tok 14 years before eating pellets

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
He's not too old! You haven't even had him long enough to know each other yet. I got one of my cockatiels almost nine months ago, and she is still slowly changing and getting comfortable.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I know he tries to bite me when I give him fresh food and water. I thought cockatiels were the gentle kind of parrot. I don't understand why he hates me so much. My budgies were never like this. I think he may have been parent raised so I guess he won't ever think of humans as companions.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I know he tries to bite me when I give him fresh food and water. I thought cockatiels were the gentle kind of parrot. I don't understand why he hates me so much. My budgies were never like this. I think he may have been parent raised so I guess he won't ever think of humans as companions.
i know a wild cought u2 that has a very strong bond with its owner

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
It's an easy mistake to associate human emotions like hate with an animal; doing so only clouds your perceptions and keeps your from understanding the animal's motivations.

Your tiel does not hate you. He has simply learned that biting is the most effective way to communicate with you. This could be something he learned in the past or it could be something you taught him (if you haven't been perceptive or responsive to his desires so far).

If he bites you when you try to mess with his cage it could be that he is feeling protective of his territory. In which case I suggest you respect his desires and try not to take the bites personally. You were doing so well with the clicker training already I really think you just need to give him more time!

He was already two-years-old when he came to you which does NOT mean he is too old to be trained/tamed, it simply means he might have had some negative experiences in the past that are making him difficult to win over. If he was grabbed or chased or scared by people in the past he probably came to you thinking that all people are monsters out to get him. In which case you have to try REALLY hard to teach him otherwise.

Your story is similar to ours when we adopted a neglected 1.5 year old budgie. He had already been rehomed once and in his last home was constantly grabbed by little children so they could pet him. He learned to bite really hard and not trust hands AT ALL. When we got him he was completely terrified of people. It took lots of daily clicker training but he finally came around and would willing step-up and sit on a finger (without flying away immediately). Do you know how long it took to get to this point? 6 months.

So don't get discouraged now! Like our budgie, your tiel might suddenly turn around in a few weeks/months. Just try to be patient and give him the time he needs.

Grey_Moon

Meeting neighbors
He's not too old and he doesn't 'hate you'.

Firstly, forget 'taming'---parrots of all sizes are wild animals. What you are looking to build is a mutual relationship that this positive and enjoyable for both of you.
It took about 2 years for my rescued grey (who was somewhere between 5-10 years old at the time when she came into my life) to actually really like me at all. Nearly 13 years later we are inseparable. You know what really helped me? Reading. Reading everything there was about clicker training, positive reinforcement and applied behaviour analysis. Barbara Heidenreich, Dr. Susan Friedman and Ann Castro's 'the bird school' were invaluable resources. I've taken courses, classes, attended seminars and I'm always looking to expand my knowledge. I've never lived with a cockatoo but I've been a member of 'mytoos' for a looong time. Why? Because it takes a lot of patience, skills and persistence to work with cockatoos and keep them healthy and happy---if I learn from the people who do it every day then it will help me work with my grey because it would be a mistake to assume that she would be 'easier' simply by being a different species.

Every bird is an individual and sometimes even the best researched 'step-by-step' plan doesn't work and you need to have knowledge and skills to be flexible, receptive to the bird and come up with something that works for that bird.

Ask yourself 'what is he communicating to me?' and 'what is he getting out of this?'

Thus far he is not comfortable with your hands close to him. That is why he bites. He has learned somewhere along the way that humans (either you or other people) will not respect (or even notice) his subtle communication of 'No! I don't like that! I'm scared!' and that the only thing is that (very stressful to him) last resort communication of biting. For right now, just slow down. He is clearly telling you that you have become (however unintentionally) a sort of negative experience for him. Step back and show him that you can be fun and positive for him. That you are worth engaging with and can be pleasant for him. You really have to sell yourself as a friend to this bird.

Parrots are not people of course, but in a lot of ways the rules apply to all creatures that we would apply to ourselves. Think about making a new human friend, how would you do it? Would you want to be friends with someone who had no social skills and kept making you very uncomfortable and making things awkward? How happy would you be to see a person who only responded to the most obvious negative communication (like you yelling at them and telling them to leave you alone or having to push or hit them to get them out of your face/for them to stop touching you)?

Slow down, breathe, take it one day at a time.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Yeah I'm just not very patient. I just assumed a cockatiel was the most friendly bird and easy to tame. Yesterday I got him out of the cage and started playing with his toy and he decided to play with the toy with me(on the other side of the toy of course, he doesn't get closer then 4 inches to my fingers unless it has a stick of millet)It was cute. I wish he wasn't so scared of my hands I really want him to hang out with me outside of the cage on my finger , shoulder or just be near me. Maybe in two years eh :( if I'm lucky lol. I've had him nearly 4 months now.

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Playing with a toy with you is great!!

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
I feel unloved by my cockatiel sometimes too, as I do by my kids :) . I am the main caregiver, he likes me when I prefer his food and calls for me every morning until I start paying attention to him and talk to him but for scritches he goes to my husband. In the last month he doesn't even want to step up for me but follows me when I leave the room. I will look into training because I am interested in it and because I want another form of interaction between us. I doubt that age has anything to do with it, it is our expectation that do not get fulfilled sometimes and then we have to change the expectations. Leave the door open, just sit and read/ watch tv and see what happens.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Well at least your cockatiel follows u
Lol