• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it normal to be scared?

Gustave’sMommy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Haley
Thanks. Yes I do have a dremel tool. I’ll do some carving. And Gustave is really just acting like he wants out.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My green cheek was only in her cage 8 hours before we let her come out. Some birds do better coming out sooner than others.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
As for taking him out immediately, it really all just depends on the bird. Some birds need time to become accustomed to their new surroundings and some time to settle in, while others want to come out and explore from the get-go. Just listen to what he's (the bird, not hubby:p) telling you. Don't make him come out if he doesn't want to, but if he wants to that's okay, too.
Gustave is really just acting like he wants out.
Our Pistachio wanted to be with/on us almost as soon as we got him home and if I remember correctly my husband played with him through the holes in the box on the way home. :xflove: The associate who sold him to us said that all of the employees liked to hold him and that they were going to miss him.

RaeT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rae
River took about a day and a half before she wanted anything to do with coming out to say hello, but Soleil wanted out almost immediately.

CupcakeKeator

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
As for taking him out immediately, it really all just depends on the bird. Some birds need time to become accustomed to their new surroundings and some time to settle in, while others want to come out and explore from the get-go. Just listen to what he's (the bird, not hubby:p) telling you. Don't make him come out if he doesn't want to, but if he wants to that's okay, too.

This is so true, no two birds are the same. Your birb will let you know what it wants. If they dont want to come out, you can always try holding treats at bottom of the open cage door and just sitting there. Can take them AWHILE to walk over, so get comfy with a book or watch a show. even just sitting near them gets them used to you. and It's hard for them to almost turn away yummy snacks!

I used baby food (peas) on a small fun color baby spoon to help get my little one to come out in the beginning. Worked pretty well, cause now when he comes out the cage door he associates it with all good things yummy. HAHA.

But yeah, it takes time and patience :) Pretty soon he'll be calling for you to come get him out all the time. LOL.

d_msparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
One of the funniest tips I read about bringing a new Fid home is not to stare at them. :laugh: I suppose it’s a needed reminder, but I imagine that considering most people don’t like being stared at, it’s true for Fids as well!