• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it normal to be scared?

Gustave’sMommy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Haley
Tomorrow is the day! I pick up my Yellowsided in the morning and I’m super nervous. His cage came yesterday and since then I’ve just kinda been in a panic. It’s 2:35AM where I live and I can’t sleep. I’m a first time bird owner and I’m freaking out. I don’t know if this is normal or a gut feeling telling me it’s a bad idea but I think it’s just stemming from the unknown. I’ve done tons of research and I think I got this. I just don’t want to be one of those people who get a bird and realize it’s too much work or time and then rehome them. What if he hates me? Am I’m just scared?

WillowNMurphy

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Willow
I was super scared when I got Murphy. I didn’t know what to do if he hated me, I didn’t know what to do even though I had prepared for weeks for that day. You got dis! Gustave is gonna love you, you’re gonna be a great parront! Don’t fret if he is scared for a few days/weeks, it’s normal and it’ll pass. Just be sure to talk to him a lot when you get him and don’t force him to come out of his cage and play. Take it slow. I’m sure you’ll be amazing! Update us. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
normal :)

d_msparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Completely normal!! I have been going back & forth with excitement and fear.
I’ll be honest—eventually I had to just stop reading because it just made me worry more that I’d do something awful with the bird by mistake. Feed him, love him, give him space. Throw out all of your Teflon and you’ll be great! The fact you are reading, asking questions & being thoughtful already puts you far ahead of most pet owners!

Garet

Real Name
Garet
100% Normal.;)

CupcakeKeator

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
You are certainly not alone in that feeling. I did tons of research two months before I put down a deposit for my Hiro. Then the a week before it was time to get him, I couldn't sleep, I kept moving all the toys around in the cage making sure that it was perfect for the day it was time to pick him up. I kept dragging my hubby back to the pet store with me to get him more toys and treats, I didn't think what I had would ever be enough. I was so scared that I wouldn't be a good birb mom. I already have a budgie, but I felt so scared that I too wouldn't be able to take on the task of being able to properly care for my new birb.

So fear not! I'm sure you will do great. The cage is all set up, you've done your research. And honestly, we as birb parents also learn as we go. Being that each birb is different, you learn what works for them specifically.

I think if you WERE NOT scared, that would be more concerning honestly. I feel scared every time before I get a pet. No matter what it is. Because we care about animals and dont want to fail them.

And if you ever have questions, we are here to help!

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
100% perfectly normal! :D
I always go through a mild panic attack and a few sleepless nights on the days before I get a new feather/fur/scale baby.

You're gonna do great! You've done your research, you've got his cage, and your sweet little GCC will be so happy to have somewhere to land! Let yourself ride out the jitters and get ready for the excitement of having him home at last!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
It's excitement! And totally normal. :joyful:
feather/fur/scale baby.
:thinking: I maintain they should all be "Fids" -It works for finned-kid, feathered-kid, and fur-kid though I doubt it'll catch on. Not sure how to make it work for reptiles, though. :chin:

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
it's absolutely normal.........I went through a similar experience last July when I brought my two Lovebirds home. I was so excited during the whole process of finding a breeder and reading and learning about the birds I was choosing. When I actually got them home, I experienced a little bit of a panic and fear, scared I had gotten in over my head and wouldn't know how to care for the little guys. Anyway, coming up on a year now and I have to say, I'm way more relaxed and really enjoy my little guys so much now. You will do just fine!

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Then the a week before it was time to get him, I couldn't sleep, I kept moving all the toys around in the cage making sure that it was perfect for the day it was time to pick him up. I kept dragging my hubby back to the pet store with me to get him more toys and treats, I didn't think what I had would ever be enough. I was so scared that I wouldn't be a good birb mom. I already have a budgie, but I felt so scared that I too wouldn't be able to take on the task of being able to properly care for my new birb.

And if you ever have questions, we are here to help!
I'm giggling because this is completely me right now. I keep changing up the toys/perches, deciding I'm done, and then ordering more. LOL. I also have a stash of organic dried apples in what is now designated the "Birdie bag" that my (human) sweetheart is not allowed to touch--they are for treats and training! :laugh:

Last edited:

Aviana

Strolling the yard
You got this! One last sweep of the house for Teflon and scented candles/Glade-type-crap, and you are good to go. Once he or she gets used to you, it will be love! :heart:

Gustave’sMommy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Haley
Thanks guys. Your great. He is home now and we are having some issues with his perches that came with the cage cause they are slippery and he has fallen a couple times. And my husband decided to take him out of the cage and carry him on his shoulder his reasoning was that he was a pet store bird and that’s what they did with him. So we had a fight about that and he thinks I’m overreacting about letting him settle in his cage a few days and to throw out the Teflon. So Gustave is back in his cage to settle and I’m throwing out the pans today. ;)

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Maybe move your perches lower in the cage for a few days until he gets more coordinated and balanced with his perching. My two guys fell off their perch the first night, I felt terrible not realizing they were still a little clumsy with perching and I should have had their perches lower to start with. It was that first night when it was dark that I heard one of them fall. I then lowered the perches and put a night light on.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thanks guys. Your great. He is home now and we are having some issues with his perches that came with the cage cause they are slippery and he has fallen a couple times. And my husband decided to take him out of the cage and carry him on his shoulder his reasoning was that he was a pet store bird and that’s what they did with him. So we had a fight about that and he thinks I’m overreacting about letting him settle in his cage a few days and to throw out the Teflon. So Gustave is back in his cage to settle and I’m throwing out the pans today. ;)

You can help the perches not be so slippery by wrapping with vet wrap or a bird safe rope :) Or, if you have a Dremel or similar, you can add grooves, too.

RaeT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rae
:needpics:

For younger birds, sometimes it helps to move the perches lower down in the cage for a little while until they gain their balance. Making sure you have "grippier" perches such as rope or more uneven woods can help, too, or even platform perches. Sometimes vet wrap can be a good temporary grip, too.

Definitely throw out any teflon!

As for taking him out immediately, it really all just depends on the bird. Some birds need time to become accustomed to their new surroundings and some time to settle in, while others want to come out and explore from the get-go. Just listen to what he's (the bird, not hubby:p) telling you. Don't make him come out if he doesn't want to, but if he wants to that's okay, too.

Edit: Oops, looks like @Mizzely and @nu2birds already had similar suggestions. :)