• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is it natural for baby budgies not to chirp crazy?

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
Just wondering if baby budgies like the one that I am a servant to currently, don't like to chirp a lot. She's been in our house for a month and a half now, and doesn't chirp a lot, but I do hear her try to vocalize when we play some music for her. Is it natural for them not to chirp as much as mature budgies?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The contented sounds your parakeet makes is her way of communicating her happiness. If she is not making any chirps at all during her waking hours, check for other signs of illness. When she's upset, she will let you know it with sharp cries of distress or anger. She may sing along with the radio or make a sound similar to purring when she is getting ready to fall asleep. A sound reminiscent of laughter -- accompanied by a bobbing of her head -- is a good indication your bird is a happy little bird.

You have a single budgie. She may not chirp as much as if there were two.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Awww - maybe play more music for her, and some youtube vids of budgies chirping happily... Lucy was a single bird, but she chirped a lot. She was maybe a year when we got her though.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
It's normal for new budgies to be quiet at first until they are settled in, but yes, usually vocal budgies are happy budgies. If she likes music, try playing it for her more. Nature sounds or even other budgie sounds are good as well.

miya

Strolling the yard
Real Name
miya
Is it possible for you to get her a friend? It's possible she may not be singing much because she's lonely.
I have two budgies that I brought home at the same time. They were super scared and quiet at first but after about a month after their adoption they started making tons of noise :)

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
Female tend to be quieter then males so for her its normal

Bonkers

Hit the Road
Real Name
Bonk's Adventure
Female tend to be quieter then males so for her its normal
Not to threadjack, but I had an interesting observation. My female budgie seems to "sing" the most? The males sometimes join in but most of the time it appears to be her... Not the likely pregnant one, the Ino yellow one with the red eyes. Is that "normal?"

The other birdies chirp and sing too, but not as much. They seem to have no discernible pattern.

They have settled in at least one week, coming up on two. They were in some not so great environments; smoke, loud music, one place had roaches. I got US out of there! R.I.P. Rainbow, see sig :(