• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is industrial hemp safe for birds?

Hoshi

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iona
I'll start off with getting one thing clear. As you may or may not know, industrial hemp is NOT marijuana. Industrial hemp is a tall, stocky plant that has NO psychoactive properties! Unfortunately the US government didn't know the difference between marijuana and hemp and outlawed both plants. The US has actually had to import hemp from other countries to make the products because of it being illegal to grow here

My point is, within the next couple weeks there will be a voting in my state to legalize the growing of hemp-- which there's a good chance it will be legalized. If it is legalized I was wondering if it would be safe to grow and let my bird use the plant as a perch. Hemp plants are strong, easy to grow, and just seemed like a good plant to use as a live perch, as so long if it's legal and safe for a bird to be on! Many bird toys use hemp rope as a material, but I couldn't find anything online as far as safety of the actual physical plant! Thanks!

Here's a link to a site that explains all the details of hemp vs marijuana, if you were curious! Hemp vs Marijuana | The Difference Between Hemp and Marijuana

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Hemp is just another type of wood. It's not toxic to birds so it's fine to use. As perches you would need to grow a pretty huge plant just to get any decent diameter in the main trunk. The branches would just be twigs. Very symmetric main trunk. Much like a dowel. Not good perch material in that respect.

I usually "score" my rope here.

https://www.rawganique.com/organic-hemp-rope-cords-s/118.htm

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It's safe. Hemp is the best plant in the world. You can use the hole plant. Will grow and don't need any pesticides so it's always organic.
Last summer I went to a field and harvest my own seed and leaf.
I eat sprouted hemp seed almost every day. (we are allowed to sprout them, but not grow them as a plant)

Hoshi

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iona
Hemp is just another type of wood. It's not toxic to birds so it's fine to use. As perches you would need to grow a pretty huge plant just to get any decent diameter in the main trunk. The branches would just be twigs. Very symmetric main trunk. Much like a dowel. Not good perch material in that respect.

I usually "score" my rope here.

https://www.rawganique.com/organic-hemp-rope-cords-s/118.htm
That's great! I know it's a very vertical plant, I suppose "climbing object" would be a better word to use than "perch". My bird LOVES climbing our curtains and sitting on top of the curtain rod:facepalm: This of course gets messy.. for the curtains and the carpet beneath. I don't encourage climbing the curtains, I'll leave the room for 5 minutes and come back and there he is! I was hoping a plant could replace the curtains, then again, birds will be birds. You can't make them do anything:p Hemp plants are tall and strong and clean up easier than fabric curtains.