• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is he my bird or not?

Nikosdaddy

Moving in
Real Name
Brian
So I hope someone can shed some light on this, Niko's personality is amazing ( Senegal Parrot) he is so much fun. He seems to enjoy being with both my wife and I, although sometimes I think he enjoys my wife more. I feel like when we got him he was bonding to me, but my wife spends more time with him due too work schedule. Is he going to become more attached to her or remain bonded to me since he seemed to bond with me as a baby. He's almost 1 year old.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Is he going to become more attached to her or remain bonded to me since he seemed to bond with me as a baby. He's almost 1 year old.

Difficult to predict. Birds will sometimes change their chosen human, and then change again.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Sounds like he is getting lots of reinforcers from your wife since she is spending more time with him. It's important that you also pair yourself with loads of fun experiences/reinforcers with him too. Hopefully with all the socializing from you and your wife he will remain friendly with you both. They can change allegiance and look for a mate when maturing, so just make sure that your wife (and you) don't do anything that encourages a mate (sexual) bond... like stroking under the wings or full body, or encouraging regurgitation etc. That's when you can end up with a one person bird who won't let anyone else near their chosen one.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
These little feathered creatures that share our lives can be very fickle..switching likes and dislikes quickly, and in a surprising manner...;)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Is he going to become more attached to her or remain bonded to me since he seemed to bond with me as a baby. He's almost 1 year old.
This is up to you. You've got to put in more time and effort. Your wife is "earning" the relationship she has with him. You've got to up your game buddy. :)

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Something like you training or reading to him would help. I recommend the training because of the food. If your wife is handling the meals, & the training, you may be out of luck in the future. An association of a full belly & lotsa kudos daily w/ your feathery friend will possibly keep him on your team. Good Luck! It's good that he's good w/ both of you. The more social your fid is the better it will be for your entire flock, birdys & humans.

Welcome to AA! I know we'd all love to see more pics of Niko!

:grouphug2: Rain & Buddy :mrha:

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
You could always establish something that only you do as well. We started with my husband giving them each their breakfast nutriberry so they knew they would only get that special thing they love from him. If you start this young it may help a lot! Slade was older when I adopted him, and super stubborn (he's a brown headed parrot, but also in the poi family like your guy) and he's decided I'm his mate and that's that. He will take treats off my husband and sometimes allow scritches but that's about it. He is definitely a different situation since I adopted him at 8 years old with a traumatic past.

Nikosdaddy

Moving in
Real Name
Brian
Thank you everyone for the comments. I spend as much time as I can with Niko and he does enjoy it. It sounds like my wife and I need to figure out a way to equal out our interaction with him so he will continue to enjoy both of us.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

M&M Ninja

Strolling the yard
This is up to you. You've got to put in more time and effort. Your wife is "earning" the relationship she has with him. You've got to up your game buddy.
I think John has summed it up well. If your wife is the primary person delivery the reinforcers, then she is earning Niko's trust and affection.

I highly recommend reading a few articles on Pamela Clark's website. She gives an informed perspective on parrot behavior in a variety of contexts. Instead of being 'mysterious', a lot of parrot behavior has been made logical. At least for me!
Pamela Clark, CPBC – The Parrot Steward Blog