• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is he calming down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Today is the second day that Java doesn't want to leave his cage, not even for food. His bowl is attached to the side of his sun deck, which is on the door. Well, he's been hanging out on his sleep perch. For the most part, he seems just fine. He's chirping, beak grinding, taking food when I offer it, playing with his toys, he seems like himself except for the fact that he isn't interested in his sun deck this morning. Usually, as soon as I uncover him in the morning, he hangs onto the door until I open it. Not today or yesterday. I put his breakfast down from 8am-11:30am and then I take it up. He came out of his cage yesterday to eat dinner, but as soon as he was done, he went back to his sleep perch. Since he seems content with staying in his cage, should I move his food bowl closer to his sleep perch, so he can eat without having to move across the cage? Also, I'm sure he's just fine, but it's sudden, so I just wanted to make sure he was okay. Even with him not wanting to come out, I still keep the door open so he can if he wants to.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I think...as long as you observe that he is healthy, you can give him time to gain more confidence in himself and his environment.
Hopefully, he will begin to come out to explore.
Do you think he is in pain?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think...as long as you observe that he is healthy, you can give him time to gain more confidence in himself and his environment.
Hopefully, he will begin to come out to explore.
Do you think he is in pain?
I looked at his foot a bit ago, and it's healing really nicely. I don't believe he's in pain.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Today he is still reluctant to leave his cage. I lured him out with food and it worked, but he has been lazily picking at his food. Usually he's a very voracious eater but this morning he isn't that interested in his food.

Casa de Vasa

Meeting neighbors
As he makes the adult Vasa changes, you may notice a change in even personality and appetite. They tend to be more confident and assertive when the adults have that bone white beak and breeding hormones kick in. Appetites kick up. This usually takes place in the spring and can last into mid summer. Some tend to be more assertive, more confident and even some aggressive and that’s where some feel more protein can help calm them. I tend to agree. Then their bodies begin yet another change and beaks change to a blotchier darker color, feathers change color, they molt, head feathers grow back in, skin color changes and they may become calmer, less assertive, or even seem more timid and shy for some. :)

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As he makes the adult Vasa changes, you may notice a change in even personality and appetite. They tend to be more confident and assertive when the adults have that bone white beak and breeding hormones kick in. Appetites kick up. This usually takes place in the spring and can last into mid summer. Some tend to be more assertive, more confident and even some aggressive and that’s where some feel more protein can help calm them. I tend to agree. Then their bodies begin yet another change and beaks change to a blotchier darker color, feathers change color, they molt, head feathers grow back in, skin color changes and they may become calmer, less assertive, or even seem more timid and shy for some. :)
I can't tell if he's still dealing with hormones because I got him on Feb 8 and not even a week later, his beak lightened. It's still light now and I can't tell if it's changing. I noticed his cere is lighter than it was weeks ago
15333226238901632617121.jpg

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He has been molting for the last month or so

Casa de Vasa

Meeting neighbors
Looks like He still has that bone white beak but he should be making changes soon. Here’s some of my birds changes. Just want to mention all of my Vasa are over 3 yrs of age and young Vasa don’t make changes like the adults right away. According to some Vasa owners, theirs don’t fully make the visual changes, such as the male prolapse while others still do. I had one males beak, feathers and skin change this year before the others. He was also the first to switch back. My female is currently turning back into her sweet self and quickly growing head feathers back. :)
. 940BA22B-0529-40B7-B978-9694D301771F.jpeg

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks like He still has that bone white beak but he should be making changes soon. Here’s some of my birds changes. Just want to mention all of my Vasa are over 3 yrs of age and young Vasa don’t make changes like the adults right away. According to some Vasa owners, theirs don’t fully make the visual changes, such as the male prolapse while others still do. I had one males beak, feathers and skin change this year before the others. He was also the first to switch back. My female is currently turning back into her sweet self and quickly growing head feathers back. :)
. View attachment 282998
Java just turned 9 years old and considering he was in bad condition when I got him, I don't know what he looks like out of breeding season. He hasn't prolapsed this season, and he might not, which is fine with me

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
I have never had any experience with this species and have only seen them in pictures. I find all of your posts about Java fascinating.
Everything your doing with him has been so wonderful. He’s a lucky boy.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have never had any experience with this species and have only seen them in pictures. I find all of your posts about Java fascinating.
Everything your doing with him has been so wonderful. He’s a lucky boy.
Thank you :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.