• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is Grit/Grip Tape safe?

MaraWentz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mara
I want to build my own PVC stand for Erin outside but wanted something to help trim her nails. I saw grip/grit tape. It's petty much sandpaper in tape form. Is this okay to put on her stand? I know she wouldn't eat it if I cover the edges, but just in case, is it safe?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well, they don't recommend sandpaper perches for birds because not only can the bird generally ingest some of the particles, but because it is terrible for their feet. It can cause all sorts of medical issues for them. I would have to say no, personally.

MaraWentz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mara
I thought most perches were sand blasted? To help with their feet? What type of perches do you use to keep their nails trimmed/blunt?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Sand blasted is different than sand paper. Sand blasted means that it is literally blasted with sand at high pressures to clean or etch a surface. Sand paper has granules of sand. There are pedicure perches you can use, but they are not all create equal. I like this kind: Sweet Feet & Beak Safety Pumice Perch Large - PEDICURE PERCHES by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

Notice that the top is smooth and the sides are rough. It helps protect their feet.

Now, limited sand/pumice/cement perches are fine. But they are not supposed to be used anywhere a bird will spend a considerable amount of time.

babyboomer1001

Checking out the neighborhood
No. It is not safe. I am currently looking at skate board tape. I will have to see if it is suitable - haven't seen it in person yet. I ordered Skid Guard, as recommended by someone on another forum. It is horrible - totally unusable for a bird. As I tried to cover a perch with it, it tore, it would not stick to the wood perch and would not stick to itself. Worst of all, tiny black bits came off as I worked with it and the plate of the perch was covered in them. It is not suitable at all. It has to be something without bits that will come off - a smooth but bumpy surface.

babyboomer1001

Checking out the neighborhood
I don't like vet wrap either. It quickly gets filthy. The only way to clean it is to blast it with water using a hose. Not something I want to do every week. I want something that can be cleaned inside - wiped with a rag.

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
If you have the patience you can rough up the PVC yourself using a drill, a rotary burr and some fine sandpaper. You use the rotary burr bit with the drill to rough up the PVC and then use the sandpaper on it to smooth it out.

BertAllen

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dave
Take a drywall sanding sponge and wrap a piece of 80 grit sandpaper on it. Then use it to sand the PVC pipe till it's dull. The sponge will conform to the pipe making it a quick and easy job.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Since this thread is from 2013 I think that TS already have solved this problem. :D