• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is fleece safe?

Vera

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
My parrotlet used to sleep under a cozy corner, she realy loved this thing and always snuggled with it.
yesterday i saw some loose pieces of fabric on the cage floor and i don't think it is safe to use the cozy corner.
the fabric is very furry and i am afraid she would or could ingest the fabric that comes loose.

this is the one i am talking about:

she realy misses her cozy corner at the moment and i want to give her a warm but safe place to sit under.
how about using normal fleece strips and tie these together so she cansnuggle underneath it? will this be safe?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Fleece is fine. As with anything you give your bird, check it routinely and often to make sure its safe.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I made Fiona budgie a snuggle hut out of fleece, but now since she is in the same cage with Fergus, I'm reluctant to put it in since she may use it like a nest? I don't want babies, am I wrong in thinking the snuggle hut is not good if you do not want babies?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I made Fiona budgie a snuggle hut out of fleece, but now since she is in the same cage with Fergus, I'm reluctant to put it in since she may use it like a nest? I don't want babies, am I wrong in thinking the snuggle hut is not good if you do not want babies?
That is a valid concern. I would skip the hut.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Non pilling fleece is preferable.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
That is a valid concern. I would skip the hut.

Thanks! I surely will. I got them in their new cage this morning - YAAAAY Mommy! It was easy, because they doors lined up from the old cage to the new, and they pretty much just strolled on in. No snuggle hut for Fiona then.... she can snuggle with Fergus, but not TOO snuggly I hope! :roflmao: :budgie: :budgie2:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
If I'm not mistaken, cozy corners aren't made of fleece but some other fabric. Fabric generally is unsafe if/when it is ingested because it cannot be digested. There are many very sad photos of birds who have slowly ingested enough fabric over time to cause a fatal build up in their crops. I would avoid using a fabric that I already see pilling or pieces of it coming off, as the OP suggested is the case with the cozy corner. But non-pilling fleece is usually totally safe and fine, just like rope perches are. If you see your bird actively chewing on them and ingesting the fibers, I'd remove them.