• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is Dawn Dish Soap Safe For Feathers?

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Emery's feet looked really dry so I put coconut oil on them last night, and I accidentally got coconut oil on Emery's feathers. What should I use to get that off? The only thing I could think of was Dawn Dish Soap, but I need to make sure it's safe first. I know they use it on wildlife, including ducks after oil spills, but it's the scent of it more than anything else that I'm worried about.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
You might be able to soak some of the oil off with paper towel if you can. That said, since you're using it on her feet I wouldn't freak out about some on her feathers.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Yes, regular blue dawn dish soap is safe, but make sure to give her a good shower or bath afterwards.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
That’s what they use to clean birds stuck in an oil spill! Just make sure you get all the soap out afterwards

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I agree with Sandra.
If its a little would just blot it with a towel. Likely they will use there foot to scratch themselves & get more on the feathers. I would not stress them with a dawn soap bath especially since its a fruit oil & not petroleum...

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I agree with Sandra.
If its a little would just blot it with a towel. Likely they will use there foot to scratch themselves & get more on the feathers. I would not stress them with a dawn soap bath especially since its a fruit oil & not petroleum...
I agree. I would use Dawn to wash a bird if there was something harmful on them.

But coconut oil is safe. So I wouldn'tsubject them to the stress of a bath plus maybe stripping their feathers of natural oils with the unnecessary soap. .

I wash my face with coconut oil every night and sometimes there's a little residue. Blu likes sit next to my cheek for scritches every night so his left wing always looks greasy. :lol:

I asked my vet before if the greasiness is bad, and he said - not to worry. I should just be thankful my bird likes to sit next to me. :shy:

Then the next time we went to the vet he was still greasy and the vet said he has great feathers :laugh:

So I really wouldn't worry about it ...unless he or she seems be irritated by it ?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Yeah, I would also just leave it.

I’ve got it on Burt’s feathers before when trying to do his beak and feet and it never bothered him one bit.
He was able to fly fine and preened normally....he just looked a slight bit greasy for a few days but was not affected in any way at all.
I also use coconut oil for my hair and skin and Burt has gotten it on his feathers and pretty cheeks from the residue on me without a single problem for me to worry about.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There's also no reason to oil your birds feet. Their feet are supposed to be dry because they're scaly. They regulate body heat through their feet. Oiling their feet makes this much less effective.