• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is Cooled Hot Glue Safe?

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Hi, all! I would like to make a foraging mat for my 'keets. It would involve taking a small tray and a grass mat and sticking them together. I would then place some seed and treats in between the grass pieces for them to pick out. I got this idea when I noticed Skittles was pecking at little things in between our carpet. My question is: I was planning on sticking the grass mat to a tray to make the base more sturdy. I was thinking I could attach the mat to the tray by putting a bit of hot glue down and sticking the mat on. But, of course, I was worried about whether or not this would be safe. I know the fumes are not good for them, so I would apply the hot glue to the tray and mat in a different room, and then maybe give it 24 hours before I give it to the birds. The dried hot glue, would, of course, be hidden under the mat so the birds would most likely not be able to chew on it. So, if I did all this, would it be safe? If not, are there any other easier and safe ways to do this?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have one of those mats and it's sturdy enough on the cage top :)

Hot glue if they can't reach it should be safe. I would make sure that the tray is also safe.

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
The zoo I volunteered at had a budgie/cockatiel aviary. Guests were sold popsicle sticks with millet hot glued to it, and the birds picked the millet off the glue! I don't know if colored hot glue is safe, but the does at stuff is.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
The zoo I volunteered at had a budgie/cockatiel aviary. Guests were sold popsicle sticks with millet hot glued to it, and the birds picked the millet off the glue! I don't know if colored hot glue is safe, but the does at stuff is.

:eek: I definitely wouldn't feed them anything glued!

I don't think the smell would be toxic once dried but if they can get at it to chew it may not be safe.