• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent is cockatiel poorly?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
No, she is not a boy she is a girl. She don't have a junk, if she did I would have notice and the vet would have told us anyway. What make you thinks she is a boy? :unsure1:
Here's a question for you.

Has Sophie ever laid an egg?

Female cockatiels are well known for egg laying. Most females, even single hens, will lay eggs. So, has Sophie ever laid eggs within the past 20 years?

chris0147

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
chris
Here's a question for you.

Has Sophie ever laid an egg?

Female cockatiels are well known for egg laying. Most females, even single hens, will lay eggs. So, has Sophie ever laid eggs within the past 20 years?
No she never did. She has never been pregnant but I did put my hands under her bottom in few times to keep it warm and I felt that she was going to drop her egg out of her bottom but it never happens. It was a shame that my old tiel who died due to old age, he tried to get sophie pregnant when they both had sex.

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
No she never did. She has never been pregnant but I did put my hands under her bottom in few times to keep it warm and I felt that she was going to drop her egg out of her bottom but it never happens. It was a shame that my old tiel who died due to old age, he tried to get sophie pregnant when they both had sex.
What did you feel?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Since Sophie has never laid an egg, and Sophie has the appearance of a male, I'm going to assume that Sophie is a male. There is a small chance that Sophie is a female, but thus far I have only heard of one visually sexed normal male cockatiel laying eggs, and he was probably a hermaphrodite or a chimera, otherwise known as a half-sider. Containing the genes of two separate birds within one body.

Two birds of the same sex can, and sometimes will, mate.

Based on this information, we should hopefully be able to rule out egg-binding as a possible cause to Sophie's health problems. However, this doesn't really help us narrow things down - rather just check things off the list.

BTW, another sign of liver failure, besides yellow droppings, is being sick. The liver is the organ in the body that detoxifies blood and removes impurities. If the liver is compromised (aka failing), it cannot do it's job properly, thus leading to infections. If this is the case, sometimes no amount of medication is going to heal the bird. The bird will remain sick until they are on liver medication, and only then will they have a chance to potentially rid their bodies of toxins and infections.

chris0147

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
chris
Thanks for the comments everyone. I am not going to comment whether sophie is a male or female, as far I was told that she is a female end of story. By the way I would like to announce to confirm that I have had a look and I saw that sophie has a sore feet.

Here is the picture:

It looks very sore. Are there should be any worry or if I should be taking care of her?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
thats a pressure sore, try to get her a soft rope perch or some flat perches to stand on, meanwhile, you can rub some vitamin E oil or a tiny bit of neosporin on it. I rub my birds feet with either of these to keep them soft and not so dry.

GlassOnion

Your Sophie is a male, and it's disheartening to see you just brush everyone off. If you do a google search, you will see that the colouring of your tiel indicates male, and it is a biological FACT. Whoever told you otherwise is wrong. If you go to Australia, you will see many wild cockatiels, and the thousands after thousands with yellow/orange faces would be male. :)

What you see with the feet is start of bumblefoot, it happens from the lack of proper perches. If you have coconut oil, try rubbing some on. What kind of perches do you currently have? Soft rope, barky/bumpy branches are good, platforms are good. Anything that is not a smooth, round dowel.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
thats a pressure sore, try to get her a soft rope perch or some flat perches to stand on, meanwhile, you can rub some vitamin E oil or a tiny bit of neosporin on it. I rub my birds feet with either of these to keep them soft and not so dry.
It's essential the neosporin isn't ingested. :)

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Your Sophie is a male, and it's disheartening to see you just brush everyone off. If you do a google search, you will see that the colouring of your tiel indicates male, and it is a biological FACT. Whoever told you otherwise is wrong. If you go to Australia, you will see many wild cockatiels, and the thousands after thousands with yellow/orange faces would be male. :)

What you see with the feet is start of bumblefoot, it happens from the lack of proper perches. If you have coconut oil, try rubbing some on. What kind of perches do you currently have? Soft rope, barky/bumpy branches are good, platforms are good. Anything that is not a smooth, round dowel.
Agreed. I know how surprising it is to find out your baby is a different gender because it happened to me! However, there's no use pretending he's female.

Tohru1529

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Here this will help if its a male or female I look on line I found this.

Both the male and female cockatiels have similar coloring and it can be hard to distinguish between the sexes if you are not sure what to look for. During the first four months I had Loki I thought she was a boy! Males and females are mainly gray in color, with their forehead, face, and throat being yellow. The cheeks are orange. Females have a much lighter yellow face and the orange is more pale. The main distinguishing feature between males and females is the horizontal barring or stripes on the underside of the females tail. Make sure to look for these differences when going to pick out your cockatiel.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Unless the owner, or the owner's brother is willing to get bloodwork done on Sophie, I'm afraid there isn't much that any one of us can do for him. :(

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
So glad she's doing well now. :hug8:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sophie is doing really well, she is sitting on her top perch now. So thanks for asking :hug8:
Glad to read that she is doing better. :)