• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is anything 100% bird safe?

wolfdog01

Meeting neighbors
So I got some new java wood perches in the mail but now it's got me worried, what if my bird gets a talon caught in a slit in the wood and hurts himself? I started thinking about this because I read of an instance where that did happen, not with java wood though. I have made a PVC pipe chain but the slits I had to cut to make the loops slip through do stretch a bit when you press down on it, so a talon or toe could get pinched. I am trying to think of how to weld them together so it doesn't do that. Or what if a toe gets caught between the two rings? What if he manages to lift his bowl and get his toe caught in the ring that holds it in place? I've tried making the zipties that I have to hold stuff down in the cage as flush and tight as I can, but what if? Is anything really bird safe? Or am I just paranoid?
Screenshot_20190712-095016_1.png

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Can your bird pass thru the rings? Can it put it’s head inside the ring but not pass thru? If not, it’s deadly. Remove it ASAP!

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Makes me think of something a vet saiid to me once. " you could put a horse in a totally padded stall and it would still find a way to hurt itself ". I think birds are the same way. The best we can do is to fix things we see that may be a problem. As far as the cup and ring, I have that kind and it's never been a problem. I do have a perch that developed a split and plan to replace it for the reason you worried about. So. You aren't totally paranoid

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
You can buy dimpled bowls call kingscages bird can’t dislodge the bowl

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Ann
So I got some new java wood perches in the mail but now it's got me worried, what if my bird gets a talon caught in a slit in the wood and hurts himself? I started thinking about this because I read of an instance where that did happen, not with java wood though. I have made a PVC pipe chain but the slits I had to cut to make the loops slip through do stretch a bit when you press down on it, so a talon or toe could get pinched. I am trying to think of how to weld them together so it doesn't do that. Or what if a toe gets caught between the two rings? What if he manages to lift his bowl and get his toe caught in the ring that holds it in place? I've tried making the zipties that I have to hold stuff down in the cage as flush and tight as I can, but what if? Is anything really bird safe? Or am I just paranoid?
View attachment 309533
What about a bead to cover the slits in the pvc? Not sure what size the pvc is but it might be a possibility.

wolfdog01

Meeting neighbors
I...I never even thought about a bead! That could work and it would be pretty cheap too, I'll have to try that