• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is a bird for me? Pionus Parrot?

RatGirl33

Moving in
SUPER NOOB ALERT: I seriously wasn't sure where to post this so if this is the wrong spot please tell me!

Background: I live with my family, we have a large house, I share a large room with my sister. We have six cats (indoor only) and eleven australorp chickens (the hens live outside). The only "bird experience" I have is from them.

As the name suggests I am a rat mama. I have 4 years of experience from nine different rats. Six are still living and are approaching their first birthday (I'm researching birds now so I am fully prepared). When my little girls eventually do pass, I don't want to do rats again. Their lives are too short, and deaths too heartbreaking. Cleaning and caring after six rats takes up a lot of time, that's why I'd prefer a solo bird. As an artist I spend a lot of time sitting and drawing, I want a bird that will likes to just hang out. Sit on my shoulder, or perch nearby. My rats inhabit a double critter nation with the center level removed, this cage - after extensive cleaning - would become the bird's cage. The pionus parrot seems like a good match from the very little research I did. What do you more knowledgeable people think?

QUICK RECAP:
-something quieter would be best (don't want someone screaming in my ear while I'm doing lineart)
-I don't want to be bitten, a bird gentle
-I don't want finches or small birds like that, I could lose them easily in my room, or accidentally hurt them
-the bird for the most part will be confined to this room, it's about 250-400 sft
-the bird needs to be accepting of all my family (I mean no dive bombing them, stuff like that)
-I don't care about looks or it's intelligence
-Cats would not be allowed in bird room

Last edited:

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
Then,you should not have a bird.All birds bite and scream,regardless of size but smaller birds will be quieter and their bites hurt less.Some birds like a few people while others accept all.Some birds hate females while some hate males.
You will also be doing more cage cleaning and getting them out the cage can take a hard time.
Bonds with them are difficult to establish and are easily broken.You need good food too.
I wrote more on your post in Welcome Lane,go check it out.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
A Pionus can be a wonderful flock mate. I have had 4 Maxis to this point in my life, Nerd bird was with me 31 years and we basically grew up together. They tend to be gentle birds and usually quiet but every bird is his own soul so it can vary depending on the individual. Nerd was shy, timid, and mostly quiet but he had a flock call that could wake the dead seeing how I got him in 78 and pretty sure he was wild caught so knew proper jungle Pionus noises and his foliage penetrating call. He trusted me fully and I was his world and we loved each other. He bit rarely and when he did it usually was he was scared or hurt. Lurch was a used parrot who was scared to death and mad at the world for taking his old man owner he loved away. He would bite quickly and without warning at first and was noisy and upset. He very slowly started to trust me and after a mere 5 years would fly after me if I tried to leave the room. He trusted and loved me in his own way and started giving warnings again and not trying as hard because he was fond of me but had his standards I was to adhere too. We slowly wore each other down and came to a understanding. If he was pissy I left him alone till he was in a better mood or had to be fast or pay the price. I had to relearn how to read him compared to Nerd but it was worth every bite I got to see him happy again. He escaped a few years ago and after a few days was scared away and I was given Dobby, another Maxi Pionus like all my others. He is very quiet, gentle, socialized, and so far he refuses to bite, just moves away or gives ferocious beakings. He seems to like everyone he meets, loves noises, whistling, and talks a bit. He likes to announce DOBBY, DOBBY BOY etc. Lurch talked a lot more, Nerd never talked, just made wild jungle Pionus noises and I made them back. We understood each other perfectly and he knew his name and had a name for me. They tend to observe how things work in their home and see how things work. They can entertain themselves perfectly well when alone as long has they have cool toys to play with and good food and water. They like to hang out close to or on their chosen one and watch you do stuff, get a snack, and scritches. They can be surprisingly tough little tanks if cared for well and respected and loved and want to be out hanging with you and zipping around when you're home and it's safe for them. They can sense your emotions and will feed it right back at you so if you're happy they're happy, if you're mad or upset so are they. It is a long term commitment so if you can handle it and keep them safe and loved you'll with luck have a long term friend and family member.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
We're similar to you... we've had every little furry critter under the sun, and wanted a long life companion. We've also got chickens and cats and a dog. After researching, we decided on a cockatiel, since they are smaller, their screams are less loud, their bites cause less damage, and they take up less room. BUT a smaller bird is still a massive financial and emotional commitment. Tikki has already cost lots of money for a vet visit, good food and toys, and fresh fruit and veggies. He gets between 4-6 hours of cage free time a day, broken up into morning, after nap, and after dinner.
For me personally, I'd be more inclined to look into a smaller bird like a cockatiel or two budgies since you've got noise and bite and attitude concerns, plus the fact it will be confined to one room. Good luck with your research and decision making! Remember, there's no rush, and some things are worth waiting for! I plan to get a bigger parrot one day, but not until my children are older. Some things require patience!

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pis are generally great birds for someone who wants a quiet, gentle bird. Unfortunately, you're not guaranteed that. My pionus Aurélie is a demon child who screams for the sheer joy of it and hates everyone but me.

Do you have the opportunity to meet birds at a rescue or a reputable breeder? That way you can find the bird who most pulls at your heartstrings, and is most compatible with your home life.

RatGirl33

Moving in
I plan to gather information about birds before my rats pass on. My rat still have several years of life left and, I'm doing research, years before I plan on getting them. (like I did before I got rats)

My previous point with being a rat owner is that I have experience with things like vet bills (rats are exotic pets), and special food, and giving them lots of time (rats need several hours of out of cage time). I do have the time for them.

Also I think I should specify on the quiet bird thing. My friend has four budgies, when it's bed time she puts on the cage cover and the birds are instantly quiet. They stay quiet until she takes it off. Do all birds do this, or just budgies? Also I was a very tired when I posted last night. So after thinking about it, the whole screaming in my ear during the day, I don't mind.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and stories! As mentioned previously I don't plan on getting bird anytime soon, and I just want to do more research.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I plan to gather information about birds before my rats pass on. My rat still have several years of life left and, I'm doing research, years before I plan on getting them. (like I did before I got rats)

My previous point with being a rat owner is that I have experience with things like vet bills (rats are exotic pets), and special food, and giving them lots of time (rats need several hours of out of cage time). I do have the time for them.

Also I think I should specify on the quiet bird thing. My friend has four budgies, when it's bed time she puts on the cage cover and the birds are instantly quiet. They stay quiet until she takes it off. Do all birds do this, or just budgies? Also I was a very tired when I posted last night. So after thinking about it, the whole screaming in my ear during the day, I don't mind.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and stories! As mentioned previously I don't plan on getting bird anytime soon, and I just want to do more research.
All of my birds (macaw, pionus, African grey and cockatiel) are dead silent at night once lights are out. Having an established bedtime routine helps them wind down and go to sleep.

RatGirl33

Moving in
Do you have the opportunity to meet birds at a rescue or a reputable breeder?
Sadly the rescues in my area don't take birds, but there are two ma and pa pet stores that take in abandoned birds. I think they are breeders as well, they specialize in conures.

RatGirl33

Moving in
All of my birds (macaw, pionus, African grey and cockatiel) are dead silent at night once lights are out. Having an established bedtime routine helps them wind down and go to sleep.
That's a relief! How long did it take to establish this routine?

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's a relief! How long did it take to establish this routine?
No time at all, really. They all had it down pat by the second night; birds thrive on routines, and are more than happy to follow them.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I got my Pionus after having rats for many years - I couldn't deal with how short their lives were. However, parrots are the complete opposite: a Pionus could live for 25+ years and you have to be certain you're capable of making that commitment.

Pionus have a reputation for being quiet but this is only in comparison to more noisy parrots. Leia has a very loud call that she especially likes to make when I'm on a work call, or when she can hear me in another room but I haven't called out to her.

The fact you're living at home and sharing a room with your sister makes me wonder if you're in your teens. If you are still a teenager, then it's a bad idea to get such a long-lived animal. Parrots live for a long time, are noisy, thrive on a routine, often develop a close relationship with only one person, and trust me, a parrot makes vet bills for rats look cheap (and I used to get my does spayed, had lumpectomies, treated for respiratory issues, palliative care for ZGTs, all sorts of things). If you're in your teens, your life is going to change a lot in the next ten years: you may go on to university or art school, you may move out of your parents' house and rent a place by yourself or with friends, you may be working long hours, irregular hours or more than one job, you may want to move region or even country to take up opportunities. All of these are made much harder with a parrot in tow.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If you are a teenager, please don´t state your age. Keep it secret.

you may want to move region or even country to take up opportunities.
If I could go back and tell 16-year-old me, ¨girl, in 5 years time, you will grab one pair of jeans, one pair of shorts, three t shirts, leave everything and everyone (incl. all the family) behind and go live 2000km away on beach in a foreign country¨ I swear, I would have thought I was crazy..... But opportunities do arise :)
It wouldn´t be impossible to move with a bird, but it would be way more complicated.

Reactions: tka