• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

IRN needs Help with leaving cage.

cookie1211

Sitting on the front steps
I have a Indian ringneck which is around 8 months now. I have had him since he was around 2 months old. He just wont leave the cage anymore regardless of what i do. I used to be able to get him out of his cage by luring him to step up with a treat but that just doesn't seem to work no more. I leave his cage door open for him to leave the cage and he just sits on the door and stairs at me, when i put my fingers close to him so he steps up he runs back to his cage and hangs upside down on a wooden chew toy he has or just jump on his swing and tries unscrewing his fruit skewer . It has been almost 2 week without him leaving his cage. Nothing has changed in the environment nothing new He is on a Pellet, Fruit and vegetable diet. I have always had a issue with him leaving the cage i was able to get him to leave some times but now it is literally impossible. I tried sticking my hand in with a apple in the other and ask him to step up. Instead he only puts one foot on my finger gets the apple and jumps back to his perch :D. Once i get him in the house he is so friendly playful and loves destroying stuff. Please help me i have tried everything on the internet, youtube and anything available nothing works.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Personally, I would not force him to leave his cage if he is not comfortable doing so. Try leaving his cage door open for a while, and move away from the cage. When he feels comfortable, he will come out on his own. Grabbing him, or forcing him out of his cage when he does not want to leave, could damage your relationship with him.

cookie1211

Personally, I would not force him to leave his cage if he is not comfortable doing so. Try leaving his cage door open for a while, and move away from the cage. When he feels comfortable, he will come out on his own. Grabbing him, or forcing him out of his cage when he does not want to leave, could damage your relationship with him.
I have tried that many times but he wont leave he just sits on his cage door.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Just leave him be, as stated above, he just wants his space so I would give food at the door and never stick my hand, even with food, inside the cage. It might spook him to the point he may become cage aggressive or aggressive to you.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
That is alright. Just give him time. He will eventually decide that it is safe to leave the cage altogether.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I have tried that many times but he wont leave he just sits on his cage door.
Do you have any perches on the outside of his cage so he can venture past the door? For instance, I have one of the really long bendable rope perches secured under the cage door that spans the length of the cage (horizontally). When Rupert comes out, he will at least climb down to the rope perch or go to the top of the cage. I can then safely put dishes in or remove them. Initially I would give him something to do; like give him a treat while I did the things I needed to.

You could also try putting a platform perch just outside the cage and put a favorite toy on it to occupy him.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If he likes apple, keep using it!

Okay, so he doesn't come out... so what? You still got him to put a foot on your hand! To me, that's progress! Keep doing it until he feels more comfortable!

cookie1211

Thank you all for the suggestions and tips. I will consider everything mentioned in this post. I hope he will change overtime because him staying in his cage all the times makes me feel bad for him.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
As long as the cage is large enough, he has various toys that he plays with (not ignores), and he's eating healthy, I'd say don't worry about it! Many birds are perfectly fine in their cages!

But if you can find a way to encourage him to come back out for more enrichment and exercise, even better! :D

RandyMiller

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Randy Miller
Just leave his cage door open. He will eventually step out of the cage when he is comfortable. Just give him some time.