• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

IRN for apartments?

optimisticStar

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I have read mixed things for keeping an IRN in apartment.

Did anyone here have IRN in an apt? Were their any issues with noise?

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
It really depends on the individual bird. Some people might have quieter IRNs, but I don't.

Even though my IRN can't put out the same decibels as my caique, she's not far off and she's far more vocal. I'd feel sorry for my neighbors if I had her in an apartment.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It's not about the IRN. It's about the apartment because every bird screams.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
It depends what type of people your neighbours are....

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
OMG, If I lived in an apartment I would have been kicked out by now. I know there must be quiet IRNs but LORDY thats not Kiwi. She wants the world to know when shes happy and the world to know when she needs a piece of yucca

pawfectly

Walking the driveway
It depends on the type of neighbours you have and where you’re situated. I live in an apartment and I have an IRN. Although he’s generally quieter, he gets super vocal when he wants to. He spends a good few hours screaming if he feels like it. You can hear him if you’re outside.

The reason I haven’t had any complaints / have been kicked out is because we have lots of different kinds of birds in my area, including wild IRNs so my neighbours are used to a lot of birdie noises.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It all depends on where you live and your neighbors. I would also consider where you think you will live in a few years down the road. If you expect to change apartments annually or even every two years or so.. you can never know what to expect. The bird might work out in this first place...but what about in 7 years etc.

If you are apartment bound their might be other species that are better fits in terms of max volume vocalizations.

optimisticStar

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thanks all for your response! I do have tiel right now and he is vocal during mornings. Changed 2 apts with him and luckily never had any issues. Not sure if IRN's are louder than tiels. I was thinking to get either another tiel or IRN, but was thinking of IRN so I could have 2 diff type of birds and also someone who speaks and a more challenging bird.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I have had several tiels and none match the vocal range of my IRN

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
IRN are not always going to speak. I hate to be that broken record, but you shouldn't get a bird with that expectation. Some will end up being great talkers, but you can't bet anything on it :)

IRN are super cute and I can understand why you would like to add one to your flock. They aren't the loudest parrot in the world or anything, but they do have a crisp contact call.

I hate to promote my own species, but Plumheads are fairly quiet. He only vocalize his song about once a day for a few min..maybe 5 min or so around 1-2pm. Other than that he is a very quiet bird. His contact sounds a little less crisp than IRNs. I work from home though so he is around me most of the time.

Plumheads are a little smaller than cockatiels. They do need a large enclosure however. They need to have room to climb/fly. Very peaceful birds and super gregarious.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

How cute are little plumhead sounds :) :xflove:

Missek4Ferio

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diana Nam
idk birds in general are loud or noisy or sometimes both, some will be less then the others or be louder. I'm currently living in a small one bedroom apartment(originally a studio) in a metropolitan area and my ringneck only get noisy when hes about to be let out in the morning then is quiet then goes off around late afternoon or when its getting dark outside. when he screams is in a higher pitch tone which can still over power my double yellow headed amazon and my yellow sided GCC combined, but only marginally louder. But on a side note, you can also train your birds to use "inside" voice rather then just letting them just go full blast then worry about being kicked out...

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I have an ARN... and she's one of the quietest birds here! In fact, budgies make more noise than she does! But when she does sound off, it can be louder than a budgie! She just doesn't make much noise... would say it's probably an "individual" thing though, considering that she's a wild caught import (based on the information I have) who's been in the USA for 6 years this May. (yes, that's correct, 6 years!)

Pipper

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Andy
My budgies are much nosier too. Mine IRN has been loud for extended periods of say 10 minutes no more than 5 times the 3 months I've had her. She is a 3 year old untame female I'm taming now.

I'm getting a 3 year old male IRN next week so she may become more vocal with another of her old type around.

Most of her vocalizations is an odd series of chortles when she gets up in the morning or when she wants me to come back to the room she is in. I can't really say her voice at it's loudest is louder than the budgies at their loudest either.