• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introduction! :)

SenegalDylan

Moving in
Real Name
Dylan
Hey, I decided to join this forum and introduce myself for a few reasons. But first, I want to say that I own one African Grey Parrot, and one dark orange chested Senegal Parrot. I'm going to be asking questions and talking mostly about the senegal because she is actually mine, the African Grey is my mom's even though I still help care for him. My Senegal is named Lulu, and I got her when I was 8, as a baby from a very responsible breeder who my parents know. She is about 7 years old now. My one regret is not keeping track of her adoption papers, because I no longer can remember her hatch date, which is kind of sad. All I know is it was around the beginning of April.

The main reason I decided to join this forum is I feel like I could be doing things better with taking care of her. She doesn't have any feather picking problems, but although I do hold her for sometimes up to an hour every day and give her plenty of attention she screeches pretty loudly, usually when I'm out of the room. Also, she completely shreds toys made with a weak material and doesn't touch toys with hard material, and ignores plastic toys, so I'd like to figure out from other people's experience what is the best thing i can give her to occupy her attention when I'm not around. Finally, I feel like I'm not feeding her as well as I should. I use a parrot seed mix that contains dried peppers and dried bananas, and although she eats it all I feel like she doesn't actually like it in the way that I could tell she loved eating the sprouts that I used to make her (I no longer have the kit anymore). So I want to know what I should be feeding her to give her a well-rounded diet. Also, she lives in a decently large cage, one that was marketed more towards Cockatoos and African Greys, but that means her food bowl is very wide and deep. For that reason I fill it up about half way and change it every 3 days when it starts to get low, and although she doesn't look overweight I haven't weighed her in a while and aren't sure if this is an okay way to feed.

If anyone could give me any suggestions about these things I am concerned about I would greatly appreciate it. :)

P.S. I should probably be asking in another section, but does anyone know a good, inexpensive place to get some 1/2 inch branches, preferably from trees that originated in West Africa that I can cut to fit the cage? I am starting to realize the round perches that came with the cage aren't the best for her feet.

Harleyandme

Sprinting down the street
Welcome! We would love to see pictures of the birds! I love African Greys and Senegals (i don't think anyone on Avian Avenue would disagree), do they get along? Do you have any other pets?

:hiya:

SenegalDylan

Moving in
Real Name
Dylan
Welcome! We would love to see pictures of the birds! I love African Greys and Senegals (i don't think anyone on Avian Avenue would disagree), do they get along? Do you have any other pets?

:hiya:
No, I don't put them together because for a while, early in the african grey's life, I'm not sure what caused it but apparently Kashka (his name) went through a very stressful period. Because of this he is usually very aggressive to anyone who doesn't live in the house, and any other birds. Also, he picked his feathers so much around his wings and chest that his neck has no feathers and he messed up the membrane connecting his wings to his body, so he can't fly. He is in much better care now and I hold him almost as much as I hold Lulu even though he isn't mine, he is a very sweet bird and knows SO MANY words. Including, but not limited to... "woof woof", "want some bagel", "want some apple", "wee-woo wee-woo", "come here niko!", "come here wolfe!", "want to go for a walk?", and "good boy Kashka!". My other pets include a few aquariums (I am very active on the aquarium forum fishlore.com), the exact fish are a betta fish, amano shrimp, zebra danios, and a pearl gourami. I also have 2 dogs, a German Shepherd, and a Belgian Malinios, a 13 year old cat named Diana, and a leopard tortoise.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you, Lulu, Kashka, and the rest of the flock, both finned and furred!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. I like Senegals a lot. Jake, my Senegal, turned 31 this year. Are you looking for natural wood perches for Lulu. I would get 3/4" - 1" rather than 1/2". Several of the vendors here sell natural wood perches: Welcome to Tweety Pie's Bird Toys - Where the parrots shop
Things for Wings Canada's Online Bird Supply Store for Organic Parrot Food, Toys & Parts, Accessories
Blu's Bird Toys - Stimulate Your Bird's Senses!
The wood includes eucalyptus, birch, willow and others.
They are already pre-cut with hardware. Don't know anywhere you can just purchase branches.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:hello:
:welave:
You will have to post pictures of your birds! Does your Senegal eat any pellets or fresh foods? You should probably find a way to add more variety to his diet.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

SenegalDylan

Moving in
Real Name
Dylan
:hello:
:welave:
You will have to post pictures of your birds! Does your Senegal eat any pellets or fresh foods? You should probably find a way to add more variety to his diet.
She currently eats seeds and dried fruits, I am going to completely cleat out her cage over the next 2 or so hours to make it spotless. I think I have strawberries and bananas in my fridge right now, do you think she would like them? When I fed her fresh food as a baby she ate mostly sprouts and pellets. But my family is going through a little rough patch so the more expensive pellets aren't an option. That's why I am looking into feeding her fresh food, since i can give her fruit that we buy anyways along with her usual seed.

SenegalDylan

Moving in
Real Name
Dylan
Welcome to AA. I like Senegals a lot. Jake, my Senegal, turned 31 this year. Are you looking for natural wood perches for Lulu. I would get 3/4" - 1" rather than 1/2". Several of the vendors here sell natural wood perches: Welcome to Tweety Pie's Bird Toys - Where the parrots shop
Things for Wings Canada's Online Bird Supply Store for Organic Parrot Food, Toys & Parts, Accessories
Blu's Bird Toys - Stimulate Your Bird's Senses!
The wood includes eucalyptus, birch, willow and others.
They are already pre-cut with hardware. Don't know anywhere you can just purchase branches.
I'm going to ask my mom where she got the ones for our African Grey, they are about 1 - 1 1/2 inches in diameter, and they came as branches that we cut. Hopefully wherever we got them from is still open.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think you could try the bananas and strawberries, but in general veggies are more nutritious than fruits, so I would also try various greens, carrots, sweet potatoes, broccoli, etc. You might have to try different ways of presenting them, such as diced, strips, cooked, etc. I would also try to buy some pellets, and just give her a bit. A bag should last a long time, and maybe you can find some sales.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I think you could try the bananas and strawberries, but in general veggies are more nutritious than fruits, so I would also try various greens, carrots, sweet potatoes, broccoli, etc. You might have to try different ways of presenting them, such as diced, strips, cooked, etc. I would also try to buy some pellets, and just give her a bit. A bag should last a long time, and maybe you can find some sales.
Great advice, and I second the veggies being better. If you're really in a pinch, you can also supplement his diet with frozen veggies. Just be sure to toss the food out within a few hours so it doesn't spoil. Get him used to eating healthy things by eating or pretending to eat them in front of him. If he's not convinced, pretend to eat a favorite treat of his and then offer him his own. He'll get used to seeing you eat tasty things and will want what you're having. Monkey see, monkey do. ;)

I'd like to add that sometimes you can sign up for coupons on brands like Roudybush (it's easily found in most pet stores) so that can help you save a bit of money. A bag will last one bird a while. Even with two, I can make a bag last. I just keep a medium-sized airtight container in the room with the birds and the rest of the bag goes in the freezer so it doesn't get stale. If your bird likes to hold food with his feet, get a larger pellet size that he can easily hold. Rupert holds things with his feet and likes to hold his pellets. He won't touch the "crumbles" that I buy for Sherbie.

Harleyandme

No, I don't put them together because for a while, early in the african grey's life, I'm not sure what caused it but apparently Kashka (his name) went through a very stressful period. Because of this he is usually very aggressive to anyone who doesn't live in the house, and any other birds. Also, he picked his feathers so much around his wings and chest that his neck has no feathers and he messed up the membrane connecting his wings to his body, so he can't fly. He is in much better care now and I hold him almost as much as I hold Lulu even though he isn't mine, he is a very sweet bird and knows SO MANY words. Including, but not limited to... "woof woof", "want some bagel", "want some apple", "wee-woo wee-woo", "come here niko!", "come here wolfe!", "want to go for a walk?", and "good boy Kashka!". My other pets include a few aquariums (I am very active on the aquarium forum fishlore.com), the exact fish are a betta fish, amano shrimp, zebra danios, and a pearl gourami. I also have 2 dogs, a German Shepherd, and a Belgian Malinios, a 13 year old cat named Diana, and a leopard tortoise.
Okay first of all, great pets! My household has a German Shepherd and I have always wanted a tortoise! My mum always tells us stories of how she used to have a neigbour with the strangest pets, first there was a magpie, then a tortoise. It just wandered in the garden and hibernated too. She said that once she thought it was just a rock in the garden and then it started to move! What is your leopard tortoises name?

datlamb

welcome! by coming to us for help bettering your care for your parrots you've already made a huge step towards that goal!
here are some very good resources regarding diet and convention to better foods: Part Of The Flock .
Feathered Food Court | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum . Part Of The Flock . Part Of The Flock . Part Of The Flock . Part Of The Flock . Part Of The Flock . Ask Bird Bloggers . Ask Bird Bloggers

screaming :
Barbara's Force Free Animal Training Talk: Addressing Parrot Behavior Problems . Barbara's Force Free Animal Training Talk: Stop your Parrot from Screaming for Attention . Steps to Stop Birds from Screaming Cockatiels that Scream, Screaming and cockatiels, what causes screaming, how to prevent screaming, how to stop screaming and excessive vocalization, what is normal and abnormal screaming, when do cockatiels scream, why do cockatiels scream, parrots and pet birds that scream. .

hope these help!

try to pay attention to when your bird screams. is when when there's lots of noise in the house? it probs wanna join in :) is it when it sees you leaving the room? you should teach it to play with toys and that you;re not the only source of fun. is it when you're out of it's eyesight? it might be good to make up a 'contact call' come sound or word you make to let it know you are fine.

birds looooove to shred toys! in nature they shred trees so they can nest in them. a happy beak means a happy parrot! lots of sites offer for sale a selection of shreddable toys so you can see what your bird likes best, or you can make it toys out of safe material on your own! here's some examples:
DIY:
DIY - YouTube
http://talkbudgies.com/45-do-yourself/
http://talkcockatiels.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31
CheepParrotToysNTips...Welcome!!!
Birdy Blueprints
Parrot 1-2-3 – The blog for crafty parrots and their crafty owners
DIY Drive | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

this shop offers a sample: Natural Sampler for bird toys or talon toys ( couldn't fidn anymore rn, sorry! )
another toy birds really love is foraging toys! any toy can be a foraging toy, just hide treats in it!

a seed based diet can not be a nutritionally full diet. parrots needs fruit, vegetables and pellets as well as seeds and nuts. seeds are very fatty and should not be the only thing a parrot eats.

sprouts are a great way to give your parrot a more nutritious meal! some of the links i provided show how to sprout seeds with things you have at home.

btw, when you'll start feeding it fresh foods, the food bowls should be emptied of veggies/fruit/sprouts/ any perishables after a few hours. and pellets refilled when needed

i hope i helped! good luck to you! feel free to ask any more questions .please keep us updated :)