• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

BethySue

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
A few days ago, I got an email from somebody who had heard I had birds. He had three cockatiels and a lovebird he needed to rehome. They had belonged to his mother who passed away. He asked me if I knew of anybody looking for some birds. After some thought, I decided to take the lovebird. (FYI--the cockatiels are still available if your near Louisville and want three 'tiels.)

IMG_1567.JPG

Not much is known about this girl, other than the fact she is a girl. That information came to me from the secondary source though, so who knows if that's accurate. She didn't have a name (or it was forgotten when her owner died), and her age is not known. The man I got her from was able to tell me that his mother had all four birds for at least three years.

She is in need of some TLC, a bigger cage, and more toys and perches. She is on an all seed diet. Her cage is in need of a good cleaning (because of several spots like this and this--warning lots of bird poop), though it's not as dirty as some cages. She came to me with one toy that looks pretty old, two dowel perches, and what seed was in her food dish.

She also needs a new water dish, as well as a new food dish. When I picked her up, I was told to "be careful when you give her water. She likes to stick her head in it and make a mess." *sigh* :rolleyes: Her current water dish is a hooded dish and she can't properly take a bath in it, even though she wants to.

IMG_1560.JPG
(This picture makes the cage look bigger than it is. I haven't measure it, but it is no more than 12"x12"x18".)

Sydney is also very vocal. She and Lenore can hear each other (they are in separate rooms--Sydney is under quarantine) and they keep chirping back and forth. She also makes some cockatiel noises. She is also just plain louder than Digby and Lenore. Sure, Digby can get loud, but her normal chirping isn't as loud as Sydney's normal chirping.

She's not overly friendly, but she's not terribly unfriendly either. If I stick my hand in her cage and don't get too close, she's fine. But if my hand does get too close, she starts squawking at me and trying to get away.

I definitely have a lot of work to do with this girl. I have no clue if she'll eat anything other than seed, and she will have to be taught people are nice. She will also have to go to the vet and there are lots of things that she needs.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's beautiful,Im glad that you were able to take her in.

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
She is very pretty. I hope you get her a nice, big cage to live in. Thank you for taking her in. :Hug8:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
She looks very sweet!

Matt

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Thank you for taking her---she does look sweet.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Congrats on the addition of Sydney to your flock. She sure is a pretty little one...

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
congratulations...and bless your heart for taking her in.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
She sure is cute! Poor thing in that small cage. Glad she is in a better home. Congrats!

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I'm happy she's found you.

She actually looks very much and sounds a like my mom's Lovebird also known as Sydney :)

BethySue

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
Thanks, everybody. :)

She is getting a new (to her) cage tomorrow. I found one that somebody was selling a used cage that is a decent size. I've bleached it twice already, but I need to go in with a toothbrush and get some of the little crevices. It's not in the best shape, but it will do for now. I'm sure she'll appreciate the extra room.

ArloDuncan

Real Name
Steve
Congrats and Best wishes with her so glad you were able to help her out and I am sure she will like the bigger cage you are preparing for her.

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
That's so sweet of you Bethany to offer her a new home. She's really beautiful!
She's going to LOVE having room to move around. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.