• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Introducing our new kitten

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Yup, there is a new kitten in my house.

My SO and I have been discussing for months whether or not to add a second cat to the household. There was a lot of back and forth, a lot of tempting possible cats, but we were always able to "shake them off" and not be tempted.

That is until last Thursday. I do give my birds a seed/nut mix on top of pellets and fresh food (believe in diverse diet) and our regular seed mix was back-ordered, so he had replaced it with another food mix from the same company. However, the items in this alternate mix were too large for Piper, so on Thursday night, I sent him to get some more size appropriate seeds for Piper. This meant going to the local pet store which also carries cats for adoption from the local Humane Society. SO took pictures of all the cats that were there, but took more pictures of this one kitten and when he came back home, he was quite excited...we both kept thinking of this particular kitten overnight and all day Friday, so on Friday after work, we went to see it...and ended up bringing it home.

I guess I can now say that the SO finally was the biggest reason for a new addition to the pet family :lol:

The kitten was 13 weeks when we adopted her. The Humane Society had named her Heidi, but the name just doesn't seem right, so we are now 99% sure of changing it to Arya.

We have started slowly introducing her to Zelly. So far, Zelly doesn't seem too impressed with the little one. Other than a few hisses here and there, if the kitten gets too close, she's not shown any sign of aggression and just looks at her play.

She is a "talker" though; whereas it took us years to hear Zelly meow from time to time (we adopted her when she was four years old), this one meows for everything. It's quite the difference.

Anyways, here are some pictures (take with cell phone, excuse poor quality).

And one picture of Zelly :)

Kellie728

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
What a sweet baby! I've been tempted to get another cat, but so far have been able to resist.

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
OMG they are both beautiful and I love the new name you picked out!!

Also congratulations on your new addition!! :)

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Oh my gosh, she is adorable! :xflove: Congratulations!

Zelly is also gorgeous! :heart:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Beautiful cats. I love the orange strip down her face.

Jazzy*

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
awww she is so cute ! I see why you guys could not stop thinking about her.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations on your new addition.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
love that stripe! and hiya Zelly!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! She is beautiful.

Matt

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Thanks everyone!

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
gorgeous!!! How do you balance the fids with the cats? I recently also adopted a kitten, my very first feline ever.

It was easy with the older cat, as she initially didn't want too much hands on attention (we got her when she was four) and slowly grew to be a bit more demanding on that front, but mostly in the evenings when the birds are sleeping.

With the kitten, it's a little more difficult right now, as we are working on getting her and the older cat used to each other. The birds still get their time out of cage though, it just means the humans have less down time. When the birds are out of their cages, the cats are in another room, behind a closed door. I never let cats and birds interact. The birds have their own room, so when they are in their cages, I can close that door and the cats have free roam of the rest of the house.

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
It was easy with the older cat, as she initially didn't want too much hands on attention (we got her when she was four) and slowly grew to be a bit more demanding on that front, but mostly in the evenings when the birds are sleeping.

With the kitten, it's a little more difficult right now, as we are working on getting her and the older cat used to each other. The birds still get their time out of cage though, it just means the humans have less down time. When the birds are out of their cages, the cats are in another room, behind a closed door. I never let cats and birds interact. The birds have their own room, so when they are in their cages, I can close that door and the cats have free roam of the rest of the house.

We keep Liono completely separate from our birds too. It was a tough first months with him, he liked (and still does) play really rough with us. I have so many scars now from where he has bitten me or scratched me.. he would climb my legs like trees, he also likes to surprise anyone sitting down by jumping and latching on to your back...
right now he is a bit more calm.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Congrats! :)

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats! She's very cute! :heart:

BirdCatLady

Jogging around the block
Real Name
April
Oh, she is absolutely adorable!! Congrats on your new fluffy bundle of cuteness. :D

I also have a cat -- a 6 and a half year old male tiger (we've had him since he was 5 months old), who is really quite large for a housecat (I suspect he has some Maine coon in him). I was worried when I adopted Brodie that Daniel wouldn't get along with him very well, or at the very least, that Daniel would have some behavioral problems (in the past when he's gotten angry at me -- for whatever reason -- he'll poop on the carpet and do other stuff like that). But we adopted Brodie over 3 weeks ago, and so far Daniel has just been super insecure, wanting mommy snuggles and more time with me than normal. No behavioral problems other than that (except possible comfort eating). He and Brodie show a mutual disinterest in each other and in fact Daniel is frightened by Brodie and often runs under the bed when he's talking or out of the cage (supervised).

I really want another kitten but my SO has been against it -- and now that we have a new landlord, the limit for pets in the home is 2, so now with Brodie and Daniel we have two... Honestly I'm glad because this means that I know it's more than just my SO saying he doesn't want a cat, it's also the new rules for tenancy here.

That being said, I'm hoping we'll be moving in the next year and a half or so...:muahaha: