• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing older new IRN

Dan84

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to the forum but have been reading for quite some time. I have a 4 month old cinnamon blue IRN called Milo (we only think it is a boy, we're not 100% sure). He is a great little bird and we have hand raised him from 5 weeks, he is so adventurous and tame.

However, I have just been offered the chance to adopt a 2 year old creamino male IRN and would love to jump at the chance but am unsure how Milo will react. I understand all birds are different and may or may not get along but as a general rule, is introducing an older bird ok or should it always be a younger bird. Anyones past experiences would be greatly appreciated before I make a final decision.

penguin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I really don't think age matters with birds. There should definitely be a 30-45 day quartantine for the new bird, and be prepared for the possibility that they don't get along. Make sure you have sepaprate cages, out times, etc. In my experience, the other birds usually are very curious and can't wait to meet the new bird, but I don't know if IRNs are like this. Hopefully some IRN owners will chime in soon. I love IRNs, if not for my tiels, I would have a flock of them!

Yoshi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessie
I don't know - I just got my 4 month old so she is still in quarantine and my older one is 3-4 years old. They however have already started calling to each other across the house and seem interested in the fact that there is another of the same species somewhere in the house.

Part of your question seemed to ask if you should always bring a younger one in - no I don't think it matters if the new one is younger or older - but quarantine and then slow introductions. I was told by the person I got my new one from that introducing them in "neutral" territory will help along with moving around everything in the current cage/area the established one lives can help.

Dan84

Checking out the neighborhood
Thanks for the replies. They will definitely have separate cages and be in quarantine. I'm just still apprehensive as I've never done this before and Milo has only been with us a short time. Perhaps that might work in our favour as he hasn't established the play gym etc as his territory yet, or will he?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
You have a good plan going. Our IRN, Titan has been introduced to many other birds since we got him -he's 22 years old. Tiels, Budgies, 'toos -never another IRN, though. We've never had a problem with him getting to know any other birds. Everyone, with time, settled into a flock setting, making their own rules as they went along.
Since Milo is young, I don't think you'll have problems with him. In fact, his age might work in your favor-he's not really set in his ways yet. Of course, you don't know about your potential new addition -just take it slow and easy...I'm sure everything will work out OK...

Mitchan

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
My two IRNs were introduced to eachother when they were 9 months (Meg) and 15 years (Nicko) old. From what I understand (I adopted them together), they pretty much got along from the very beginning. :) Age definitely doesn't matter.