• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing a new IRN

Status
Not open for further replies.

danadear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
My IRN Henry is about 18 months old. We were told he is a male but haven't had him tested and he does not have a ring yet. We would like to get a second IRN that would eventually (hopefully) be housed in the same cage. Would you recommend the same sex or opposite sex? How would you introduce? Any tips?

DeeDeeeeee

Strolling the yard
You should dna him/her; and get one of the same sex or they may breed.. unless you want that. My two boys don't get along tweety is in love with snow but if he gets to close snow chases him around. Is not guarranted that they will get along so be prepared for a second cage, otherwise one of the birds will be miserable.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
You should dna him/her; and get one of the same sex or they may breed.. unless you want that. My two boys don't get along tweety is in love with snow but if he gets to close snow chases him around. Is not guarranted that they will get along so be prepared for a second cage, otherwise one of the birds will be miserable.
Sounds like good advise. I don't have experience with two IRNs together, but I've talked with people who have. Unless opposite sexes, IRNs are a bit solitary and independent. Of couse, not all situations are the same.
If you do get a second IRN, you should be prepared to have two cages. As time goes on, they might become friends,you never can tell...

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
I have two males that I've had for almost two years. They've lived in a cage together since I got them both. Most of the year they're best friends. However, when breeding season hits and they spend their full days courting each (lol), the occasional fight will break out when one tires of the others advances. If I had the room for a double flight cage I would have gone that route a long time ago.

As for the ring, My Violet boy just turned two and his ring has just started coming in with the molt he's going through now. He had no sign of it prior. My Blue boy has had a faint ring since his molt last Spring...but it hasn't come in any stronger since.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.