• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing a new GC to 2 other GC's

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you have to worry about 4 getting along as much if you only had 3? We really don't want the new little guy to be on his own. If we have to, we'd get another little one for him as we're out for most of the days.
Yes! There's no guarantee that they'll get along at all, regardless if you have three or four!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Do you have to worry about 4 getting along as much if you only had 3? We really don't want the new little guy to be on his own. If we have to, we'd get another little one for him as we're out for most of the days.
I personally would rather the little guy had a friend but as you can tell I like for them to have another somebirdie. Although my last foster that I was secretly hoping would stay is not a flock bird and gets very angry if any other bird is around.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Yes, you will have to be concerned as to whether they will get along even if you have four. I think people can have a distorted conception on housing birds when they see how they are kept in pet shops as multiples in cages. Even though the first two you bought have been together for a year now and appear to be best buddies that can change if they are both males. Green cheeks like many other species are very driven to mate when they reach adulthood. They will advance on the same sex and eventually that will lead to problems with fighting. If you don't intend to dna sex the first two you need to keep an eye on them for any such issues of not getting along in the future. Do NOT put another bird in their cage…. they have an established partnership as it is and you will only stress your birds out by crowding them with more birds.

The single baby can be kept on it's own in a separate cage and do just fine. The one thing I am not sure about is if you handle these birds or are you just keeping them as pets in cages that you feed and observe? It's what I'm inclined to think since you aren't home during the days and feel your birds should have a partner to keep company with. Before you add any more birds to your home you need to consider the actual space they really need… bigger is always better. More birds = more work. You should be providing fresh foods daily in addition to their regular diet of pelleted foods ( some seed) as well as washing their water cups daily and more depending on how dirty the water gets because conures love to soak foods in their water. Paper should be changed daily… healthy for them, healthy for you. If you can't do all this then stick to less birds and concentrate on keeping them happy and well cared for.

Scottish Steve

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hi everyone, and many, many thanks for your replies.
To answer the question, above, yes, both my wife and I leave for work at 7:30 am, and get home from work each day at 4:45 pm - we both work just around the corner at the same facility, and yes, the birds cages/houses have their paper sheets changed every day, and their food and water dishes go in the dishwasher with dermatological cleaner., every day. The birds water is changed again as soon as we come in the front door after letting them out, and they stay, with both of us, eating, playing and whatever else we have to do in the evening. I'd say, our little guys are out of their houses at least 4 hours every night, and more or less for most of those days we're at home. Our flock is incredibly spoiled and they and us know it very well - but we absolutely love it!
I sat with them tonight in a dark room just before we put them in for the night, just to see what they would do with all three of them on my shoulder, and they were all snuggled-up together, grinding their little beaks to kingdom-come. They're all starting to get on much better, apart from dinner time, where our oldest will charge at the new one if he tries to get near his food. We've seen this all the time, though, even when it was just the two of them, so we're watching this time closely. I love them all, dearly, but I will not have anyone bully anyone else. Our oldest is such a great bird, though, as he immediately backs off when he's been told-off, and will then freely let the new one in for a bite.
Big changes for everyone, so baby steps all the way.
Will report back!

Thanks again.
Stephen