• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Interesting differences between my two

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I've only known Duckie for these past many years, and now that we have a new addition and I'm a parront to TWO GCCs, it's really fascinating to see the differences between them!

Because Duckie has been the only GCC I've known, I sort of just thought - oh this is the way Green Cheeks are. Yes, I've read about differences, but it's so strange and interesting in person.

I was curious as to what you guys thought about these differences, and how they compare to your GCCs...

1. Duckie has SUCH a tighter grip when holding on to me. Compared to Duckie, the new girl is very loose and lazy in her grasp on my finger. Duckie has always been a hard squeezer.

2. Their movements. The new girl's body language is very...Conurey, but still quite different than Duckies. Duckie does very sharp right angles with his head bobbing, and movements in general, and also generally goes up and down in direction. The new girl sort of swerves around. Not too many hard angles, and is sort of flowy and side to side in her head bobs and movements, and dancing.

3. Their size. The new girl is quite robust, and overall just bigger than Duckie. I don't think she's overweight. She was recently vet checked and came out just perfect.

4. PIN FEATHERS. Because Duckie has been an only bird for so long, my poor bud is frequently covered in pin feathers, and this new little one must've had a preening buddy at the rescue, because she has not a pin feather in sight and she is so soft because of it!

5. Feather density. Petting/scritching this new girl is like petting a lamb. She is just really thick and soft, and fluffy. Duckie, in contrast, feels like he has more sparse feathers I guess. Or maybe he's just more sleek - maybe less down feathers underneath? Hard to tell really. The girls feathers are also more hair like in the chest region. I guess sort of like an Eclectus maybe, where as Duckie's feathers are all very defined looking. I was really surprised by this this one.

6. Use of flight. Wow. This new girl just flutters around wherever she wants to go, whereas Duckie gets upset if I don't come pick him up to carry and deliver him to the location he has in mind.

7. Their voices! Again, they're both obviously Conures, but such distinctly different vocal sounds, I'll never have trouble telling them apart. Her voice is much higher pitched and squeaky. Where Duckie's is a lot more gravely and quite a bit lower in tone.

8. It's weird to be around a bird who doesn't speak English honestly. I don't prefer talking over not talking, it's just that Duckie is a constant talker. Everywhere we go, everything we see, whatever he wants, or feels - he talks about. This new birdie says NOT ONE WORD (so far).

9. Personality wise they are opposite on the conure spectrum - so far anyway, and I know it's very early to tell. But even the rescue told me before I got this new one - "We're pretty sure she doesn't know she's a Conure". It's true. She's quiet, docile, very cuddly, doesn't use her beak much. The opposite of Duckie.

Anyway - what about you guys with more than one Cheeky? Or even just more than one of the same species? What differences surprised you?

Last edited:

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Yep, all true! Before I adopted my second bird, I just thought -- very lazily -- that there was a standard personality/behavior etc. It was amazing to see how different they can be!

One thing that I am curious about, and Im not sure if I will ever find out, is whether Luna (the second adopted one) would have a different attitude if he was the only bird in the house. Wally has always had an alpha attitude and I do wonder if that somehow has adversely affected Luna -- maybe not being as confident, slower to bond, more independent, etc.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
One thing that I am curious about, and Im not sure if I will ever find out, is whether Luna (the second adopted one) would have a different attitude if he was the only bird in the house. Wally has always had an alpha attitude and I do wonder if that somehow has adversely affected Luna -- maybe not being as confident, slower to bond, more independent, etc.
Good point. I'm wondering how our household is going to change her "known" personality. The rescue said she was very quiet and docile, and sweet. But you know, there were about 40 birds in the room with her. Now that she's by herself in quarantine, and later will be only 1 of 2, I'm wondering if she'll come out of her shell more? Makes sense that Luna, being around an alpha type, would sort of clam up a bit. It can be that way with humans I know. My husband is very soft-spoken and on the shy side, and if we're in a big gathering, everyone always will be like, ohhh, he's so quiet, he doesn't talk huh? And I'm like, no, not around a group of obnoxious loud-mouths. Haha! But one on one with somebody actually listening, he opens up a lot. I think that birds can feel the same way maybe.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I've watched loads of videos of Conures and Lovebirds, and my two are just worlds apart from their species. Even if you compare just their vocal capabilities/habits, it's a big difference. Other Lovebirds don't sound like Sherbie does. Other Conures sound nothing like Rupert.

Rupert also doesn't act like a Conure. I've seen a lot that are pretty bold, and are always getting in to trouble. Rupert's past is mostly unknown, but we know he suffered in an abusive home and was shoved in a tiny cage with a bunch of Lovies. Anyhow, he's cautious of new things and new people. Even when he plays, he's always got one eye looking out for danger. He and I are still trying to figure out the best way to get him on his back when he wants to snuggle. He goes up to my hand and leans dramatically in to it, but if I move, I get a nip. He will try to lean backwards from my shirt, but if I try to support him, another nip. If I hang him upside down and put my other hand under to support him, slowly, and tell him what I'm trying to do, he accepts being cradled. Rupert also doesn't fly on his own. He's more than capable, but he doesn't trust himself for some reason. He'll lean forward and that's my cue to get a perch and take him somewhere. To be fair, he didn't hop when I got him either. I had to encourage that, and he still takes a lot of time when he wants to hop down from point A to B.

You're totally right, the new girl could in fact change her behaviors around Duckie. Rupert did. He was a quiet bird, but since Sherbie likes to sound off and make loud noises, he does it too. It's not all the time, but he likes the drama I think.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
@Peachfaced Aw! Such an interesting little guy! Poor thing! I loved hearing your story of what he's like. It makes sense, and I'm glad at least he tries to find a way to trust you with the cradling. Little Rupert :heart:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
It amazes me with so many that there are none that are alike...
Zia is bold and sassy and dislikes other birds...
Zephyr is nippy and naughty and gets into everything and tries to scare/chase those who don't back him down
Amada is like the mother hen of the room...if someone starts fighting, she flies over to beat them both but yet anyone who wants to cuddle, she'll cuddle
Moki is a nervous nelly and jumpy, doesn't like to be touched
Maui is very opinionated and hot tempered but a sweetie when calm
Bitty is jumpy, jumpy and another nervous nelly but the first to yell his head off to let him out
Jewel is very bird oriented and sassy with other girls but will seek me out for head rubs and "hmmm" sounds and she is my nosiest
Kari is just a little queen bee and does her thing but bans the others from doing anything with her
Rocco is a bit of a terror about being nice to others but he loves to chat
Carlton is skiddish but likely my best talker and bell ringer
Giggie is over human bonded and love ladies and little girls

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I haven't cared for a green cheek yet, nor have I had two conures of the same species. I have still noticed many character differences between the conures that I have had - and even then, they weren't "typical" for a conure. Overall, I love how they are all individuals! :)

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Kind of like children. All have very different personalities. Some basics are the same, but all of mine are different.