• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Interactions with other birds

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
My initial plan was to move the conures into my living room but I've gotten spoiled. Glenn is just mean and lives to draw blood and Sherman's cage is way too big! Until just recently, my living room held conures and there are even places for their cages. That was, as I said, my initial plan.

Ella.pi

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Just to give you my input... I have 2 bronze winged males, Apache is 4 years old and Falcon is 2. They get on well even though they aren't closely bonded.

Apache is bossy and both are mildly territorial so they will chase each other at sensitive times, like when I come in the aviary with food or are handing out treats. That being said, they are not agressive towards each other as long as they have their space and they aren't agressive with Chiloe, my patagonian conure that shares their big aviary. They all live together in harmony and respect each other. They have many food and water bowls so there's no need to fight over them.

Other than that, my patagonian is the most jealous of the three when I'm in the picture. The boys will happily hang out with us even when she's on me but if one of them comes too close, she chases him away. They don't usually fight back and I've managed to limit that behaviour through training so we can mostly all hang out together now.

If Apache get's worked up over something, he'll take it out on me rather than the other birds. Haha Mine aren't one person birds either, they love my husband as much as me and will be nice to any visitors or animals. Apache just strongly dislikes children and used to attack them any chance he got. After years of working on it and him not having his cage in our living space anymore, he's doesn't attack anymore but he keeps his distance unless we're training.

I really don't picture them attaking a smaller bird... but they've always been around other birds and people, never been one person birds... so maybe it's more of an individual thing depending on what they've experienced.

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
My WCP HATES my budgies and my conures, who all get along marvelously.

My original plan changed, again! I bought a HEPA, put down... basically created a birdroom in the second largest room.

I moved her into their room. The other birds don't share open cage time with Sherman ever. In fact, I put some plexiglass over her cage because the conures are attracted to her playtop as well as theirs and being a climber, she'd hurt their toes.

She hated when they flew over to play, so at first I didn't allow it. After a few days, she more accepting of it, but I still don't allow it.